best 650watt PSU for $70ish?

doug_locke

Spent all morning looking up PSU ratings/reviews. I need a 650watt
Corsair RM750e for $90 is the closest good(ish) power supply.  It's better than I need and over budget.

The MSI MAG 650 is $60g but way too few connectors. 1x8pin eps, 1x8pin pcie,  only  2x molex    everything in-between those 2 seems awful 

Suggestions? 

Country?

Upgrade plans?

ill assume this is just an upgrade to an existing build

Rm750e only has a 7 year warranty and the fan is apparently quite loud

A650bn i assume? Still pretty meh since 60$ is at the upper end for used 850w gold units lile the rm(x) or equivalent (should be available for 40-60$ used) and those will last much longer simply due to the higher wattage not to mention theyre higher quality units

Send links to the stores you are buying from

31 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Country?

Upgrade plans?

A650bn i assume? Still pretty meh since 60$ is at the upper end for used 850w gold units lile the rm(x) or equivalent (should be available for 40-60$ used) and those will last much longer simply due to the higher wattage not to mention theyre higher quality units

Send links to the stores you are buying from

I need 2x eps 8 pin for the next build. At least 2 molexs. So the A650bn won't work even with a mole eps adapter.

In in the US... prefer to stick with Amazon,bestbuy, microcenter (just for easy returns) I got the 2 off pcpartpicker

(Option 3 would have been Corsair CX650m but it doesn't have opp so its a hard pass)

vs cultist A,B,C tier lists. 

I'll go used and many parts NOT on a PSU. 

Ps I swapped out my sick PSU for a 17yesr year old 450watt PSU and disabled my CPU and GPU overclock, unplugged extra fans and hdd's. It's buys a couple of weeks to wait for a better deal but it's no way to live. =P

43 minutes ago, doug_locke said:

I need a 650watt

Why? What's your CPU and GPU?

There's https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hDQKHx/thermaltake-smart-bm3-750-w-80-bronze-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ps-spd-0750mnfabu-3 for $70. You can't go wrong with ATX3.0 except for the fan.

For $80 there is a TT GF A3 650w. The 750w version adds $5 and the 850w another $5.

4 minutes ago, doug_locke said:

I need 2x eps 8 pin for the next build. At least 2 molexs. So the A650bn won't work even with a mole eps adapter.

In in the US... prefer to stick with Amazon,bestbuy, microcenter (just for easy returns) I got the 2 off pcpartpicker

(Option 3 would have been Corsair CX650m but it doesn't have opp so its a hard pass)

vs cultist A,B,C tier lists. 

I'll go used and many parts NOT on a PSU. 

Whats the next builds mobo?

That extra eps 8 pin on some boards is completely useless btw, its just there for marketing, even under subzero theyll probs still be useless simply due to the ability of blowing right past the 336w max rating of the eps 8 pin since thats still a pretty conservative rating when higher quality psus can come with really thick cables

Youd only need the extra eps if your next build is a threadripper or a hedt xeon build cause those cpus do actually need the extra eps power

Btw used psu is fine, all my psus are used and ive experienced no real issues power delivery wise, though all of em are <20$ and lesser known brands (quality validated by looking at the 12v rail) also pretty old likely >7 years so the issues are mainly related to the cables with my dazumba 450w thats approaching 13yo now having most of the sata cable plastics snap and my tundra 700w for whatever reason one of the 12v wires on the eps connector detatched when i took it out but still works and overclocks x58 just fine again due to underrated 336w 8 pin eps, 40-60$ used rm(x) or equivalent are unlikely to have these issues due to being higher quality units

Though since you have some cash to spend new is totally fine

850w gf a3 for 90$, 10 year warranty and i think its pcie 5.0 aswell so itll last you awhile, much better than an overpriced rme and an inferior 60$ unit

On 1/30/2024 at 3:48 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Whats the next builds mobo?

That extra eps 8 pin on some boards is completely useless btw, its just there for marketing, even under subzero theyll probs still be useless simply due to the ability of blowing right past the 336w max rating of the eps 8 pin since thats still a pretty conservative rating when higher quality psus can come with really thick cables....

...Though since you have some cash to spend new is totally fine

850w gf a3 for 90$, 10 year warranty and i think its pcie 5.0 aswell so itll last you awhile, much better than an overpriced rme and an inferior 60$ unit

The next build is a Ryzen 7700x, 3-4 years 12 or 16 core Ryzen 8xxx. Probably won't need 2x eps  

Seems like

RMe is a loud A-tier psu

GF-a3  B-tier (at best ) ...TT replaced the GF3 for the GF A3 reduced  the depth, swapped 'some' of the japanese capacitors for Chinese, put in a smaller 120mm fan  (kinda seems like the same difference between the RM and RMe)

I ordered both the 750w RMe and the 850w GF-A3. I'll let my ears choose the keeper.

Thanks for the assistance 

On 1/30/2024 at 3:15 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Country?

Upgrade plans?

The RMe arrived earily I installed it on my old build, i can't put enough load on it to get the fan to spin up, even with a gpu/cpu over clock and running a stress test on everything. Which is odd. Plus side, my OC has never been this stable.