Dynamic Mic Picking Up EMI from GPU/PC parts

Sorashiro

TLDR, Mic’s coil picking up EMI. Is there a solution?

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

A few days ago I bought a RODE Podmic, a dynamic mic, to replace AT2020, hoping to reduce the audio leak from my K702 open back headphones entering the mic that cause an echo problem to my friends over Voip.

It did work, but introduced a new problem. I think the coil in the mic is picking up EMI from my PC.

The following are two examples.

The first video is when the system is idle. Normally I couldn’t hear the noise, but once I move the mic closer to the PC case, or point the mic towards the case, the noise became audible.

The second one is when GPU is on load, in this case a game. The noise is audible when the mic is away from the case, and gets even worse when being close to it. You can hear the pitch shift with the game’s framerate (though I didn’t show it cuz bf2042 no longer allows RTSS overlay after changing its anticheat engine), and when ever I switch the scene, the pitch shift as well.

I’m surprised nobody seems to encounter this issue since all the info I can find that related to this topic are four post from different forum and only one of them seems to have the same cause as mine which is this one:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1511291-trying-to-deal-with-gpu-coil-whine-in-microphone-audio/

Spec list if that helps:

CPU: 5950x

MOBO: ROG Strix B550-E

GPU: Inno3D iCHILL X4 3080Ti

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum 1200W

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL Black TG

Audio Interface: MOTU M4 (Podmic connected to mic in 1)

XLR cable: Third Party MOGAMI 2534 with Neutrik connectors

I tried using an in line mic preamp, and switching XLR cables, didn’t affect the noise at all. So the noise must be introduced on the mic, not the cable or the audio interface.

It’s not audible to human ears (except GPU’s physical coil whine), so it must be EMI.

It’s not affecting my AT2020 which is a condenser mic, so it must have something to do with how dynamic mics work.