My laptop's wifi keeps disconnecting itself!

Hello LTT community! 

I have a lenovo legion 5 laptop running windows 11,with an intel wifi 6 AX 201 (for 2 yrs no issues), lately for a month now, whenever i turn the wifi on, it works fine, but it gets disconnected after around a minute, after i manually reconnect, it usually stays connected and doesn't get turned off again. (sometimes does tho), at first i thought it's a software problem so i did all the usual trouble shooting steps (clean instalation of wifi drivers from both Intel and lenovo websites, etc) nothing worked. 

i have another hard drive with windows 10 on it, and today i boot into that one and same thing happens there as well, does anyone know what's happening? (it should be a hardware problem at this point)

Also same thing happens with other wifi routers (it's not the router's problem)

PS the picture is a guide i found on YouTube, is this legit? 

Screenshot_1.jpg

9 hours ago, Sozi Salad said:

Hello LTT community! 

I have a lenovo legion 5 laptop running windows 11,with an intel wifi 6 AX 201 (for 2 yrs no issues), lately for a month now, whenever i turn the wifi on, it works fine, but it gets disconnected after around a minute, after i manually reconnect, it usually stays connected and doesn't get turned off again. (sometimes does tho), at first i thought it's a software problem so i did all the usual trouble shooting steps (clean instalation of wifi drivers from both Intel and lenovo websites, etc) nothing worked. 

i have another hard drive with windows 10 on it, and today i boot into that one and same thing happens there as well, does anyone know what's happening? (it should be a hardware problem at this point)

Also same thing happens with other wifi routers (it's not the router's problem)

PS the picture is a guide i found on YouTube, is this legit? 

Screenshot_1.jpg

That's really dumb advise, that is a ground plane its SUPPOSED to connect to the ground plane of the rest of the motherboard to prevent interference.  That's why there is a metal shield all around the WiFi chipset.

Its also connected at the PCIe slot itself, so isolating the screw shouldn't really do anything.

If there is an issue with the ground plane of the laptop it could be a faulty PSU, although if it still happens on battery that would suggest its not the problem.

Its more likely something like the antenna connections have worked loose.

Did you also make sure the drivers are up-to-date?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's really dumb advise, that is a ground plane its SUPPOSED to connect to the ground plane of the rest of the motherboard to prevent interference.  That's why there is a metal shield all around the WiFi chipset.

Its also connected at the PCIe slot itself, so isolating the screw shouldn't really do anything.

If there is an issue with the ground plane of the laptop it could be a faulty PSU, although if it still happens on battery that would suggest its not the problem.

Its more likely something like the antenna connections have worked loose.

Did you also make sure the drivers are up-to-date?

Yup, as i've said, i tired multiple drivers, old and new, and this behavior happenes on both windows 10 and 11 (I have a test hdd with windows 10, same thing happened there.) 

Will opening up the laptop and reseating the wifi card be actual helpful, or i should just get a new wifi card? 

40 minutes ago, Sozi Salad said:

Will opening up the laptop and reseating the wifi card be actual helpful, or i should just get a new wifi card? 

Reseat card. Reseat antenna cable attachments. These simple things can't be fixed with software if they're the source of the problem.

15 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Reseat card. Reseat antenna cable attachments. These simple things can't be fixed with software if they're the source of the problem.

You're right, but this just feels random, was working fine for a long time, and my laptop is always on my desk, i don't move it around at all. why this sort of thing happen at all?