Going from NVidia to AMD, need recommendations!

Hi all!

As you can see from my recent(-ish) posts I’ve been having lots of trouble with my current GPU, an ASUS RTX 3070 V2 OC, mostly because I’ve bought it second hand. It started black screening under load so I repasted it and changed all the thermal pads because HWINFO showed almost instant thermal throttling as soon as a load was applied. That fixed it but, soon after, the fan bearings both gave up the ghost and now the card is now SUPER loud whenever the fans kick in. At this point I’m just straight up tired of having to work on that thing, so I’m now looking for replacements! 

I’ve looked around a bit and I loved the look of the Steel Legend lineup of cards by ASRock, since it fits way better with my case and my motherboard (also a Steel Legend, the B550M), but since they’re AMD cards I’m not sure which model would work best in my setup and for my uses.

I run an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (stock speeds), 32GB of RAM at 3600MHz and I have a Fractal Design Ion+ 660W (rated 80 Plus Platinum). As I said my current GPU is an RTX 3070. I play and stream titles like Overwatch and Rocket League. I also play more demanding games such as Baldur’s Gate 3 on frequent occasions. I also edit and render videos from time to time with DaVinci Resolve. For now my main display is a 27” 1080p 75Hz monitor, but I was looking into replacing it by a 1440p 144Hz monitor sometime in the near future.

The options that are available to me are either a RX 7600 8GB, a RX 7600 XT 16GB or a 7700 XT 12GB. Since the fans on my current RTX 3070 need to be replaced, all my games’ settings are turned down already so that they don’t come on too often (and because I’m scared of damaging the card further), so even if the card technically performs somewhat worse than a regular 3070 I wouldn’t notice a difference, as long as it doesn’t bottleneck my CPU too much. 

So in this case, would one of the 7600s work, or would I need to spend more and instead go for a 7700 XT? Thanks in advance!

Finaly, it's my time!

GO GET AN RX6750XT I LOVE THIS THIGN!! :p.

No for real, it is almost on point with an RTX 3070 (except the RTX Performance wich is like 30% worse, but thats amds fault) and it is a bang for the buck in my eyes. It will also go very well with the Ryen.

If you want it high end take an RX7900XT, it is really good and is barely cou bottlenecked with that cpu.

Edit: Sorry i dint read the full post. For 1440p 144hz, i'd go for an RX7700/7700XT, since it is gonna be future proof.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

21 minutes ago, AutumNova said:

Hi all!

As you can see from my recent(-ish) posts I’ve been having lots of trouble with my current GPU, an ASUS RTX 3070 V2 OC, mostly because I’ve bought it second hand. It started black screening under load so I repasted it and changed all the thermal pads because HWINFO showed almost instant thermal throttling as soon as a load was applied. That fixed it but, soon after, the fan bearings both gave up the ghost and now the card is now SUPER loud whenever the fans kick in. At this point I’m just straight up tired of having to work on that thing, so I’m now looking for replacements! 

I’ve looked around a bit and I loved the look of the Steel Legend lineup of cards by ASRock, since it fits way better with my case and my motherboard (also a Steel Legend, the B550M), but since they’re AMD cards I’m not sure which model would work best in my setup and for my uses.

I run an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (stock speeds), 32GB of RAM at 3600MHz and I have a Fractal Design Ion+ 660W (rated 80 Plus Platinum). As I said my current GPU is an RTX 3070. I play and stream titles like Overwatch and Rocket League. I also play more demanding games such as Baldur’s Gate 3 on frequent occasions. I also edit and render videos from time to time with DaVinci Resolve. For now my main display is a 27” 1080p 75Hz monitor, but I was looking into replacing it by a 1440p 144Hz monitor sometime in the near future.

The options that are available to me are either a RX 7600 8GB, a RX 7600 XT 16GB or a 7700 XT 12GB. Since the fans on my current RTX 3070 need to be replaced, all my games’ settings are turned down already so that they don’t come on too often (and because I’m scared of damaging the card further), so even if the card technically performs somewhat worse than a regular 3070 I wouldn’t notice a difference, as long as it doesn’t bottleneck my CPU too much. 

So in this case, would one of the 7600s work, or would I need to spend more and instead go for a 7700 XT? Thanks in advance!

Mmm even a 7700XT isn't a real upgrade over a 3070, like +10%...and you lose DLSS and RT

Any 7600 would be a downgrade, that's sad 

I can only advise to put even more money ($500+) to get a real nice upgrade like a 7800XT or 4070S

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Honestly I would say minimum of 7700xt or 6800xt. Anything lower might just be  close to 3070 in performance. Also you would be upgrading to a 1440p 144hz, so it's best to get at least 12gb of vram and an actual gpu that can hit 144hz. With your current system 7800xt might be the best. 7900xt might have a slight bottleneck at 1440p, but even an xtx would probably be ok at 4k resolution.

In the mean time, if the issue of your gpu is the fans and you don't want to replace it. While still looking for a gpu and you have an extra case fans like any 120mm fans, you can use a zip tie and put two fan on it. and manually control it thru the motherboard. If you can remove shroud and gpu fans and just leave the heatsink, that would be better. It's junky but it would probably work.

Try to find a deal on a 7800 xt.  Maybe find a used 3080/3090. Skip newer nvidia way to overpriced.