Looking to build a custom keyboard

Toon

Hiya, I am looking to build a custom keyboard soon, but I am not entirely knowledgeable about the subject yet.

I will do my research prior to building one, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for keyboard parts that'd be clicky, yet maybe a bit "smooth" or "creamy"?

Not entirely sure.

Thank you!

Sounds like you'd want to look at lighter actuation force tactile switches, I'd look at getting a switch tester with a bunch of tactile switches to try out to see what you like. Tactile are like clicky switches but without the audible click and don't feel as "sharp", you could start as simple as gateron browns or go heavier like kailh royal purples or gateron baby kangaroo switches; or something more generic like boba u4t (or u4s for silent versions, outemu silent sky/forest switches could also work but, if I remember correctly, only fit their own hotswap sockets).

I'd read some articles on theremingoats website for tactile reviews, there's comparisons to other switches and graphs that show you how smooth or jarring each switch is.

Also make sure to lube your stabilisers or get prelubed ones.

Maybe get a hotswap board if you end up regretting your choice of switches and want to change them.

finally escaped fm2+

19 minutes ago, lgcas said:

Sounds like you'd want to look at lighter actuation force tactile switches, I'd look at getting a switch tester with a bunch of tactile switches to try out to see what you like. Tactile are like clicky switches but without the audible click and don't feel as "sharp", you could start as simple as gateron browns or go heavier like kailh royal purples or gateron baby kangaroo switches; or something more generic like boba u4t (or u4s for silent versions, outemu silent sky/forest switches could also work but, if I remember correctly, only fit their own hotswap sockets).

I'd read some articles on theremingoats website for tactile reviews, there's comparisons to other switches and graphs that show you how smooth or jarring each switch is.

Also make sure to lube your stabilisers or get prelubed ones.

Maybe get a hotswap board if you end up regretting your choice of switches and want to change them.

Thank you for the response! I am looking more for the clicky sounds though. I am unsure how to describe it, but the louder switches have always interested me more. 

Definitely looking into that website you mentioned as well!

12 minutes ago, Toon said:

Thank you for the response! I am looking more for the clicky sounds though. I am unsure how to describe it, but the louder switches have always interested me more. 

Definitely looking into that website you mentioned as well!

Choices with clicky switches are more limited, that can make choosing a lot easier though lol.

I was looking at these but didn't go for them in the end because they seemed too light for me, maybe you'd like them. Uses a different mechanism rather than a clickbar or leaf like standard clicky switches.

finally escaped fm2+

11 hours ago, Toon said:

Important question: are the sounds linked to clicky switches, or do you also hear that nice sound in other switches/linears?

Because the sound of a keyboard is only partially determined by the switch, the rest of the construction also plays a role. So you can have a keyboard with linear switches that is very "clacky" and almost sounds clicky.

Simply put: not all linear switches are silent, nor are all clicky switches the same. Feel and sound are not always linked.

3 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Important question: are the sounds linked to clicky switches, or do you also hear that nice sound in other switches/linears?

Because the sound of a keyboard is only partially determined by the switch, the rest of the construction also plays a role. So you can have a keyboard with linear switches that is very "clacky" and almost sounds clicky.

Simply put: not all linear switches are silent, nor are all clicky switches the same. Feel and sound are not always linked.

I was looking something similar to this:

But maybe a bit louder on the clicks.

Then it is probably a good idea to buy a few switch testers to test them with your board. It won't give you the full picture of how it will sound like, but a pretty good idea.

The thing with the clicky switches is that you now have two sources for sounds: the click mechanism and the bottom-out of the switch in the housing. The latter in particular is which gets transmitted through the plate/case etc. Hard to say how these will mix, I've very little experience with clicky switches.