A case question

shadowr1ku

No it is not one of those threads where you guys suggest case, but an opinion rather is needed. These are my specs:

i7-4770k

MSI z87-g45

1 SSD and 2 HDD's

GTX 780 ACX

H100i CPU cooler

My definite plan is to SLI another GTX 780 in the future when needed (want to play on multi monitor)

So the real question is this: With SLI in mind, is going for a Mid Tower case still good enough for airflow, or just go with a Full tower case? I thought about doing a custom water loop but I decided not to because I won't plan on doing high over clocking. Hopefully I made sense in this ramble :P

Thank you!

There are midtowers with pleanty of room for SLI and watercooling and lots of airflow. For example the corsair 750D or the NZXT H440.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

For mid towers you have to look at reviews on it's airflow. There's quite a few mid towers that move air really good.

The Corsair Air 540 does, for example. I actually have one myself in an SLI setup.

A larger case is, in general, always better for airflow.  You can get away with a mid-tower case though and get decent airflow as long as you have decent cable management and proper fan configuration.  

CPU = Intel i7 4770K OC @ 4.1GHz | CPU Cooler = Corsair H105 | MOBO = Asus Z97 Maximus Gene VII | GPU = Asus STRIX 4GB GTX 980 | RAM = 32GB G. Skill Trident X Series @ 2400MHz | PSU = EVGA Supernova 850W 80+ Gold | SSD 1 = 120GB Corsair Neutron (OS) | SSD 2 = 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 (Games) | HDD = 1TB WD Green 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Storage)| OS = Win 8.1 64Bit | Case = Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout Edition w/ Window | KB = RAZER Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Stealth | MS = Mionix NAOS 7000 | Monitor = 24" BenQ XL2420TE @ 144Hz | 2nd Monitor = 27" Asus VS278Q-P @ 60Hz 
CPU = Intel i7-2700K OC @ 4.5GHz | CPU Cooler = Corsair H100i | MOBO = Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU = EVGA 3GB 780Ti Superclocked w/ ACX Cooler | RAM = 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz | PSU = EVGA Supernova 1,300W 80+ Gold | SSD 1 = 128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series (OS) | SSD 2 = 120GB Kingston HyperX (Games) | HDD = 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Storage) | OS = Win 8.1 64Bit | Case = Fractal Design Define XL R2 | KB = ROCCAT ISKU | MS = ROCCAT Kone XTD Optical | Monitor = 24" Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz | 2nd Monitor = 27" Acer G276HLDbmid @ 60Hz       

There are midtowers with pleanty of room for SLI and watercooling and lots of airflow. For example the corsair 750D or the NZXT H440.

A mid tower would provide adequate cooling for 2 way SLI.

For mid towers you have to look at reviews on it's airflow. There's quite a few mid towers that move air really good.

The Corsair Air 540 does, for example. I actually have one myself in an SLI setup.

A larger case is, in general, always better for airflow.  You can get away with a mid-tower case though and get decent airflow as long as you have decent cable management and proper fan configuration.  

I have the Air 540 case as well (I don't like it due to its large real estate and not enough HDD trays). I tried researching what others say on other forums but seem to be equal. I was looking at Corsair cases but the Phantek pro looks awesome too. Damn the chassis industry. making it difficult for me to chose :P

I have the Air 540 case as well (I don't like it due to its large real estate and not enough HDD trays). I tried researching what others say on other forums but seem to be equal. I was looking at I Corsair cases but the Phantek pro looks awesome too. Damn the chassis industry. making it difficult for me to chose :P

I was confused by the post so I will say.  

If you have an air 540 keep it, it is an excellent case for air cooling and it would ensure that both of your GPU keep cool. 

However if you don't I would go for (personally preference this is) the phanteks enthoo pro or the corsair 450d.

Twitter | Steam |

I was confused by the post so I will say.  

If you have an air 540 keep it, it is an excellent case for air cooling and it would ensure that both of your GPU keep cool. 

However if you don't I would go for (personally preference this is) the phanteks enthoo pro or the corsair 450d.

I do have the Air 540, but need to down size, but I plan on either selling it or giving it to a friend. I was looking at the HC's review on it and it looks amazing, as well as the Luxe :P

I do have the Air 540, but need to down size, but I plan on either selling it or giving it to a friend. I was looking at the HC's review on it and it looks amazing, as well as the Luxe :P

If i where you I would do my best to keep the 540 and save some money but if you need a smaller case then you need a smaller case, what can I say. 

Twitter | Steam |

I have the Air 540 case as well (I don't like it due to its large real estate and not enough HDD trays). I tried researching what others say on other forums but seem to be equal. I was looking at Corsair cases but the Phantek pro looks awesome too. Damn the chassis industry. making it difficult for me to chose :P

Yeah that new Enthoo Pro is so attractive, especially with the price tag. I was debating on switching to that myself to be honest, haha.

Fractal Design does have a similar cube-shape chassis like the Air 540, but it's more low-profile and professional-looking. The biggest they have is a MATX model which has a window, the Node 804 (I think it's 804)

Yeah that new Enthoo Pro is so attractive, especially with the price tag. I was debating on switching to that myself to be honest, haha.

Fractal Design does have a similar cube-shape chassis like the Air 540, but it's more low-profile and professional-looking. The biggest they have is a MATX model which has a window, the Node 804 (I think it's 804)

Well I am one of those PC owners that I love cases that are aggressive. I seen a lot of recommendations for the R4 but it so plain to me :P not saying its bad at all of course.

A larger case is, in general, always better for airflow. You can get away with a mid-tower case though and get decent airflow as long as you have decent cable management and proper fan configuration.

No, large cases have more possible spots where air can stall and have more distance between the intake and exhaust. Because of this, it would take more fan power for the same amount of cooling with a larger case.

You want to get the heat out of the case as quickly as possible and a smaller case helps do that. A smaller case does also generally mean less areas to mount fans but there are still great mid towers for air cooling like the arc midi r2.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you set up your fan config the right way, you can get appropriate air flow. Again, I was speaking in general terms. Not all large case scenarios will provide the best airflow.

CPU = Intel i7 4770K OC @ 4.1GHz | CPU Cooler = Corsair H105 | MOBO = Asus Z97 Maximus Gene VII | GPU = Asus STRIX 4GB GTX 980 | RAM = 32GB G. Skill Trident X Series @ 2400MHz | PSU = EVGA Supernova 850W 80+ Gold | SSD 1 = 120GB Corsair Neutron (OS) | SSD 2 = 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 (Games) | HDD = 1TB WD Green 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Storage)| OS = Win 8.1 64Bit | Case = Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout Edition w/ Window | KB = RAZER Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Stealth | MS = Mionix NAOS 7000 | Monitor = 24" BenQ XL2420TE @ 144Hz | 2nd Monitor = 27" Asus VS278Q-P @ 60Hz 
CPU = Intel i7-2700K OC @ 4.5GHz | CPU Cooler = Corsair H100i | MOBO = Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU = EVGA 3GB 780Ti Superclocked w/ ACX Cooler | RAM = 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz | PSU = EVGA Supernova 1,300W 80+ Gold | SSD 1 = 128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series (OS) | SSD 2 = 120GB Kingston HyperX (Games) | HDD = 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Storage) | OS = Win 8.1 64Bit | Case = Fractal Design Define XL R2 | KB = ROCCAT ISKU | MS = ROCCAT Kone XTD Optical | Monitor = 24" Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz | 2nd Monitor = 27" Acer G276HLDbmid @ 60Hz