Older plastic controller "desintegrating"

Stahlmann

I just took an older controller from the PS3 era out of storage. Then I noticed the surface of the plastic is getting sticky, it kinda feels like it was drenched in soda and then left out to dry. It was clean when i stored it away a year ago. I think it's the plastic breaking down.

Is there any way to save the device?

It's an adapter to use MIDI signals from electronic instruments to play Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc.

So it's not easily replaceable.

image.png.2190047a3610b5c0faea2fd85a387ac8.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

if it was soft-touch/rubbery then yeah it's degrading, almost everything that uses this is done for in 5-10 years.

It is possible to scrape it off if you take the whole thing apart and use some solvents like "glue residue remover" that will help soften that without attacking the plastic underneath, but it's a royal pain.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I had a similar problem with a PC case, the only solution I found was to take it apart, soak it in some agressive glue remover and go to town with a stiff brush, and even that took several hours.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Cooling: 2x Delta GFB1212VHG w. PWM

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

Looks like i found an alternative after all. There is a guy on reddit who sells a device that basically has the same functionality. The only problem is, it costs $100 + shipping and import costs. Gonna have to think about what I'll do.

For anyone else stumbling across this post, this is the alternative device: Roll Limitless - Roll Limitless

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Gonna have to think about what I'll do.

Depends on where you live, but a 250ml bottle of glue remover should be fairly cheap.

Here's the one I used: https://mellerud.de/spezial/aufkleber-und-klebereste-entferner

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Cooling: 2x Delta GFB1212VHG w. PWM

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

35 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

Depends on where you live, but a 250ml bottle of glue remover should be fairly cheap.

Here's the one I used: https://mellerud.de/spezial/aufkleber-und-klebereste-entferner

It's cheap but idk if i want to take the hours taking it apart and cleaning it, potentially also breaking the device or if i'm gonna order the other one and use the current adapter in it's sorry state until it arrives.

I did some more research and scrubbing the surface with Isopropanol seems to be the best solution for this problem. I'm gonna try this first.

Can support the isopropyl alcohol, doing that on my 6 year old MX Ergo. It is a mess, but the funky rubber will literally rub off. Takes a few minutes though and you will remove a lot of material.

23 minutes ago, da na said:

actually gasoline works very well too

That dissolves a lot of plastics too, not just the rubber so you could ruin what's underneath.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2