Total System Lockup

Forleb

In the last 4 days, I've had 2 incidents of my screen going black & the system being totally unresponsive, aside from restarting it physically. Booting back up after this does not result in a Windows repair attempt, or anything unusual regarding file integrity. This time, I had tabbed out of Valorant (fullscreen) to check something, then tried opening Chrome, it didn't open, tried going back to Valorant & it shat itself. I used to tab in & out of anything without even a hint of the system getting locked up until now. It is worth noting that I moderately undervolt my CPU & GPU at all times, but that hasn't presented any issues in a while. I was on the Career tab in the game & only had Discord open alongside it, which obviously should never cause issues for a build like mine. I know the solution to this issue on its own is probably just reducing the undervolt aggression, but I'm more curious why this would randomly start happening for the first time with any of my builds.

the pc guy

I would suggest to backtrack and Windows updates and any driver updates. 

Yes, this also happens to me especially when playing VALORANT. You can try playing in windowed fullscreen mode but I think that increases latency/decreases fps. A long time ago I was also getting this problem when playing csgo but I think it was because the gpu was delaminating from the motherboard...

• 1 month later...

This has now progressed to the point where launching Valorant with any kind of active tab in the background causes an instant BSoD. Even closing the game with nothing else open still leads to complete lockup more often than not. Nothing like this happens with anything else I do. I have tried changing its Windows properties, running everything stock, and fully reinstalling Riot / Valorant with absolutely no change to this behavior. What could I be missing here?...

the pc guy

The easiest thing would be to DDU, remove even the chipset drivers and install all drivers clean and fresh. If that doesn't work, start looking for hardware malfunction.

Start by stressing the components individually - first try the CPU with OCCT and/or Cinebench, then try the GPU with FurMark, then try them both simultaneously, then run a MemTest as well and if everything works out fine, it's just a software issue and your best option would be to go for a fresh Windows install.

Also what are the system specs?

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

40 minutes ago, Forleb said:

This has now progressed to the point where launching Valorant with any kind of active tab in the background causes an instant BSoD. Even closing the game with nothing else open still leads to complete lockup more often than not. Nothing like this happens with anything else I do. I have tried changing its Windows properties, running everything stock, and fully reinstalling Riot / Valorant with absolutely no change to this behavior. What could I be missing here?...

Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and check if you have any minidump files. If you do, go back to the Windows folder and copy the Minidump folder itself to the Downloads folder (You can use the desktop if you don't have OneDrive syncing files). Zip the copied folder and attach it to a post. Please follow the instructions to the letter as Windows doesn't like you messing with files in this location.