Any reason to upgrade? (2080 Super)

omucron

I've had the EVGA (RIP) RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming in my rig since ~2019, and it's been great and problem free - hours long of 2D and VR, video and photo editing, basically anything I put it through it did extremely well.

The rest of my system is pretty anemic considering what's come out in the past 4 years, was planning on upgrading the CPU and related bits, so I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading the GPU as well?

I know there are much faster cards out, but being a PCIe 3.0 card I'm thinking there would be a significant boost alongside the higher CUDA core and dedicated RAM.

Alongside that, more technologies that newer GPUs include that I hear about in passing would be nice-to-haves.

I haven't paid much attention to the industry so bear with me, all I really know is card prices have gone up and people really aren't jazzed about the price:performance ratio anymore.

(I don't really have a budget, just trying to see if it's worth even considering looking at anything)

CPU/MOBO: i7-9700k in GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Ultra GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra GaMiNg

RAM: 32GB Trident G-Skill DDR4-3200

Case: Cooler Master H500M

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB, Western Digital Blue 4TB + 1TB (WD40EZRZ-22GXCB0 and WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 respectively)

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 850FX Displays: ASUS ROG PG279Q, ViewSonic VG2439smh(?), LG 24GM77-B(?)

KB+M: Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid w/ MX Browns and Logitech G903

Sound: Schiit Modi -> Denon AVR-2805 -> Beyerdynamic A20; HD600's, DT 770 Pro 80Ω

8 minutes ago, omucron said:

it's been great and problem free - hours long of 2D and VR, video and photo editing, basically anything I put it through it did extremely well.

Seems like you have your answer here, why upgrade if your workload doesn't require it.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

6 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

Seems like you have your answer here, why upgrade if your workload doesn't require it.

Yeah, for my use case now, I haven't done anything past it because the rest of my system doesn't really keep up. Not really looking to upgrade now and then less than a year need a GPU upgrade because it quickly becomes the bottleneck.

CPU/MOBO: i7-9700k in GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Ultra GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra GaMiNg

RAM: 32GB Trident G-Skill DDR4-3200

Case: Cooler Master H500M

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB, Western Digital Blue 4TB + 1TB (WD40EZRZ-22GXCB0 and WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 respectively)

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 850FX Displays: ASUS ROG PG279Q, ViewSonic VG2439smh(?), LG 24GM77-B(?)

KB+M: Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid w/ MX Browns and Logitech G903

Sound: Schiit Modi -> Denon AVR-2805 -> Beyerdynamic A20; HD600's, DT 770 Pro 80Ω