Battle.net using excessive CPU resources

Hi all,

I'm running a 7800X3D with a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black. I've recently repasted it (thought it wasn't set properly, turns out it was an effect of Adblocks' recent bug that threw me off...) and it was purring fine at mid 30C idle.

I let Blizzard download an update and boom, temperatures sky rocketed to 81C, despite no backgrounds tasks running. Battle.net launcher was using 56% of my CPU utilisation. During gaming sessions, I do not get spikes that high.

Any tips on what it could be? It happens exclusively when downloading/installing updates. I have 4 M.2 SSDs of varying sizes, running Windows 11, fan curves set to performance on the NZXT board. All fans are Be Quiet! Light wings x2 120 and x2 140mm, CPU fans are Noctua default 140mm and 1 basement fan NZXT included fan with H5 Flow. GPU temperatures are unaffected (RTX 2070), and with an upgrade coming soon I want to sort out CPU temps before it gets extra hot in there!

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

You must have some really fast internet.  Pretty normal in that case.  It's download and decompressing the files as well as verifying their integrity.  The faster the internet speed, the more the CPU load.  It gets really nuts when there's a local cache and you have 10gig or faster local connection (and the cache has drives fast enough saturate it).

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

I went from i5 8400 to i5 12400 and was amazed at how much faster it could download files over the same internet and same ssd

20 hours ago, Cracklingice said:

You must have some really fast internet.  Pretty normal in that case.  It's download and decompressing the files as well as verifying their integrity.  The faster the internet speed, the more the CPU load.  It gets really nuts when there's a local cache and you have 10gig or faster local connection (and the cache has drives fast enough saturate it).

It sits around 900mb/s but that never bothered it before!

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

17 hours ago, UnusualDevices said:

I went from i5 8400 to i5 12400 and was amazed at how much faster it could download files over the same internet and same ssd

I upgraded from 400 mbps to 900 and a i5 4690 to 7800X3D around the same time, but still - Steam etc downloads don't use that much CPU... odd