PSU off switch

r_e_xX

Hey,

I’m currently studying at uni and I’m home only during the weekend. Therefore I turn off my pc and. I do it with the backswitch from the psu.

Yesterday I accidently switched it slowly, (it took mby ~2 seconds) instead of swift click. And I heard little noise. From what I’ve browsed I know it was a small short and this switch is not supposed do be clicked slowly.

I will keep it in mind for the future. But I wanted to ask is there anything to be worried about this? PC seems to be working totally fine and my PSU is 4years old BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w. Would love to hear some opinions since I have OCD and it’s another concern for me.

1 minute ago, r_e_xX said:

But I wanted to ask is there anything to be worried about this?

No.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, r_e_xX said:

And I heard little noise. From what I’ve browsed I know it was a small short

Nothing to be worried about, the noise was just a small arc inside the switch as the contacts got closer.

This also happens when you operate the switch normally, the arc just isn't sustained longer than a few milliseconds, and a good quality switch has arc resistant contacts that won't be damaged.

Everything is fine.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

Ideally you want to minimize arcing as much as possible, but once in a while is to be expected. It is fine. 

Are you saying though that you turn the PC off with the power supply while it's running? Or do you turn it off first, and then switch off the power supply? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just a little arcing. Click the switch fast to prevent it. Nothing to worry about though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 6:47 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

Ideally you want to minimize arcing as much as possible, but once in a while is to be expected. It is fine. 

Are you saying though that you turn the PC off with the power supply while it's running? Or do you turn it off first, and then switch off the power supply? 

No ofc no, I turn off pc normally, and like 15-20min later switch its psu off. And later the whole power strip.