Do you think NPU in cpu will be ''gimmic'' ?

I have a ryzen 5600X right know and a RTX 3070. In the futur, I want to upgrade my pc to a Ryzen 8000 CPU + RTX 5070 (Zen 5 aka granite ridge).

99.99999999% chance that the new cpu from AMD wil have NPU, because right now the ryzen 8000G series (zen 4) have NPU.

The question is  do you think NPU will be a gimmic? for now most app are not ready for this, I think they wait for Windows 12 because Microsoft said that the next generation of windows will be focus of AI.

45 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Yup. Just another dumb thing for them to add in that takes up precious space instead of more cores or cache or anything else. Really does suck but what can you do when they want to push AI everything.

The best part is at CES they made a big deal about Windows co pilot which does allready exist but is basically a glorified BING search bar 🤣.

I can't possibly see how it's going to revolutionize computing but whatever we will see.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

Hard to say. Its an ASIC with no software today, because why would you write software when there is no ASIC to use it on. I wouldnt call it more of a gimmick then GPGPU was 20 years ago. Vista was the first OS that really used GPU acceleration in the GUI but most software didnt take advantage of it by default until 10 years ago. NPUs are only a gimmick in terms of they wont be capitlized on today as they launch. but they will in 5-10 years. so you will see large discrepancies in software in 10 years running on CPUs with NPUs and ones without that were coming out in 2024/2025.