Can you use an LOD/damaged GPU for Salad?

Hi, I was wondering if I could put my old Radeons into a new misery: CRYPTO MINING :p.

To be honest: it's not real crypto mining from what I've heard (I'm using an app called "Salad"), if I understood it correctly it works with network traffic and containers, what are containers? I have no clue ^^

Anyways: since most of them are either failing to run under load or have LOD (Line(s) of death) and just lay around, I was wondering if they could fulfill their misery with Salad. Maybe I'm stupid, but I thought it may work for the ones with LOD, since they don't need to output a signal.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

13 hours ago, MiszS said:

why not just try if it works?

Well, that's an idea

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

11 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Sure, but it would taste lousy.

As long as it somewhat works I won't care 

Salad seems like something that wouldn't need a GPU.

If you're going to do crypto mining you'd wanna use Kryptex - easiest miner to get into if you know nothing about cryptocurrency and just want a little extra cash.

This Salad thing seems similar to Honeygain, Pawns.app, PacketStream, etc... all apps that share your network traffic for like $5 a month.

Edit: Looked into it. You can use CPU, GPU, and network bandwidth. Worth a try if the cards have nothing better to do! However, they do say they recommend a 3080 or better...

On 1/9/2024 at 3:52 PM, Sanedish said:

Hi, I was wondering if I could put my old Radeons into a new misery: CRYPTO MINING :p.

To be honest: it's not real crypto mining from what I've heard (I'm using an app called "Salad"), if I understood it correctly it works with network traffic and containers, what are containers? I have no clue ^^

Anyways: since most of them are either failing to run under load or have LOD (Line(s) of death) and just lay around, I was wondering if they could fulfill their misery with Salad. Maybe I'm stupid, but I thought it may work for the ones with LOD, since they don't need to output a signal.

oh please dont use salad. they run adult content through your network and they keep most of the profits. The apps you should be using if mining with just 1 system is a mining software connected to a pool.

Sorry if i misinterpret or say something rude, i'm on the spectrum and have a hard time with anything social. I do my best to make sure i don't but sometimes i just cant tell.

SYSTEM SPECS

ASUS ROG STRIX B450F-II Gaming

AMD Ryzen 7 5700g

8GB Trident Z Neo RAM - 3200 MHZ

2 TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe SSD + other ssd drives totaling to 2 tb

Seagate 750W PSU Platinum Rated

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12G rev 2.0

VERY FIRST COMPUTER SPECS

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.8GHz

2GB LPDDR4-3200

2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet

yeah it was basically a raspberry pi 4 model b 2gb. I do have a 4gb now cause the 2 gb one shorted out. Still love absolutely everything about that tiny computer as its the reasons i like computers so much now and the reason i know so much about computers and how to use them.

"If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in." - Edsger Dijkstra

19 hours ago, Grant M said:

They run adult content through your network

Yes, they do that via containers

19 hours ago, Grant M said:

they keep most of the profits

For me it still is more convenient and efficient than most miners.

On 1/10/2024 at 2:21 PM, da na said:

However, they do say they recommend a 3080 or better...

That's only because it's "in demand" hardware.

On 1/10/2024 at 2:21 PM, da na said:

Worth a try if the cards have nothing better to do

Yeah, I guess I can try if it works.