Windows 11 Fullscreen apps and games bug

Hi there,

I have a problem that I'm pretty sure can be blamed onto Windows 11 since it has appeared ever since I updated from Windows 10, and has been a persistent problem for months now.

If I open any fullscreen app (usually a game), many times it will open (screen goes black) and then it will be minimized and I'm on my desktop again. The app is running, and no matter how much I try to go back to the app it keeps bringing me to my desktop. Sometimes the app opens correctly in full screen, but then if I alt-tab out of it and try to go back into it, it repeats the same thing, minimizes it and forces me on desktop. Usually when this happens, I have to close/crash the app and start it again, hoping the bug won't happen on launch. Sometimes I have to restart the whole computer to fix it.

This has been a problem for many months, and I am running the latest public build - 22H2 OS Build 22621.2861. No updates have fixed it. The only way to get around it is to use the application in windowed fullscreen mode. But that is not a good solution because many games perform much better when fullscreen.

2 minutes ago, HeyCrest said:

I am running the latest public build - 22H2

The latest version of Windows 11 is 23H2, which was released in october of 2023, maybe updating to that fixes it.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

2 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

The latest version of Windows 11 is 23H2, which was released in october of 2023, maybe updating to that fixes it.

Oh? I checked for Windows updates right before making this post and it says I'm up-to-date. Is there any reason I am not getting 23H2 or any way to force it?

1 minute ago, HeyCrest said:

Is there any reason I am not getting 23H2 or any way to force it?

This website (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/windows11-release-information) says you need an enablement package, whatever that is supposed to be, but my laptop updated automatically, so I don't know what's up with that.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

Just now, Average Nerd said:

This website (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/windows11-release-information) says you need an enablement package, whatever that is supposed to be, but my laptop updated automatically, so I don't know what's up with that.

Thank you for your response. As soon as you made your first comment I started googling and I found out that I need to go to Windows Updates and enable the toggle for Get the latest updates as soon as they're available. I will do this after a couple of hours when I go home and see if it gives me the 23H2 update. It is highly likely that it will fix my issue, thanks.

UPDATE: Doing the steps above game me some updates, but I am still on 22H2 and 23H2 is not available for me. The bug/problem still exists. Any inputs will be appreciated.