Nintendo switch problem.

Jackie55

Hi guys. I've had a bit of a problem with my switch. I'm worried about it and need advice. I was told on here is a good place to get help but it's a switch not a pc. Anyway here goes.

My switch is a pokemon scarlet violet oled. I've had it for just under a year. Earlier I was playing ff7 on it in handheld mode and my battery hit 13% so I saved, quit the game and tried to plug it into the charger. The second I plugged in the charger the screen went black. The switch powered off by itself. I tried pressing the home button multiple times. It wouldn't light up. I tried multiple times to power it up and it wouldn't start. So 5 minutes in I had all but accepted my switch was broken when suddenly the Nintendo logo appeared and it powered back up by itself. I didn't even press the power button. It's now back up and running and on the charger.

Should I be worried? Is my switch about to die? I've never seen it do that before. I'm very worried. I'm seriously ill and spend most days bedridden. My switch is the only thing I have to help me through the bad days. 

I assume that it should be fine in the future. It's probably a software or firmware issue. If it happens again you may have hardware issues with the motherboard but otherwise probably fine. 

I try to be respectful. If I ever come off in a different manner, I probably don't mean to. If I don't help you sorry, if I do, mark my comment as the solution. 

If it only has happened the one time and at a fairly low battery percentage, I'd say it's most likely just a glitch with the power saving software/low battery. I'd use it as normal but keep an eye on it. If it's less than a year old you should still have a warranty on it. Which any sort of power or battery issues would be covered under. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I think ive figured out what it was. It's the battery. The calibration is all wrong. When it said 13% left it was actually 0%. It switched off because the battery ran out. It took 5mns on the charger before it powered back up by itself. That's its normal behaviour when the battery is drained. I'm currently following guidelines to recalibrate the battery. It's already been drained so am now charging for 5 hours as per instructions to recalibrate. This is apparently a well known issue with switches.

It's probably my own fault. I quite often only partially charge it due to lack of patience and the urge to game lol.