RTX 3080 FE - Performance Query

chiller15

I have just played through System Shock (2023) and while playing it, noticed that my Nvidia RTX 3080 FE fans were at pretty much 100% throughout the whole game, with some RPM variations. Playing through at 1440p all max settings, my GPU was at pretty much 99% utilisation throughout. While I understand that that sort of utilisation is going to produce all the heat and necessitate the GPU fans to kick in - it just didn't seem to match what I was visually seeing. I don't know enough about the remake of System Shock, is it a modern game made to look older as a design choice, or did they take an older game remaster it with new assets.

The 3080 FE fans are known to be quite loud and annoying, but I was concered that if this is a lower performance game - am I suffering other issues that would explain the fan usage. I decided to run a TimeSpy Extreme benchmark run and got a score of 7133 overall, which is some 5% lower than the average score of this CPU/GPU combination at 7528 and some 18% lower than the best score (I know I don't have the other components or cooling to get near that).

Graphics score: 8698

CPU score: 3532

PC specs:

Asus TUF Z390M-PRO Gaming WIFI

Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.5GHz

Corsair H115i Pro RGB

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2666MHz (2x 8GB)

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 FE

256GB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe

Corsair RM750X Gold 750W

Results: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-9700K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING (WI-FI) (3dmark.com)

CPU max frequency - 4653 MHz

CPU average frequency - 4395 MHz

CPU max temperature - Not reported

CPU average temperature - 51C

GPU max clock frequency - 1935 MHz

GPU average frequency - 1766 MHz

GPU max memory frequency - 1333 MHz

GPU average memory frequency - 1333 MHz

GPU max temperature - 69C (nice)

GPU average temperature - 45C

Even though my GPU is running at stock speeds, I don't understand why I'm 5% lower than the average score, if my thermals and frequencies all appear to be good enough.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I thought I'd rather post here and check, even if it is to give me some piece of mind.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

The graphics scores is where it should be looking through results, its your CPU score that's bringing the overall score down. 

28 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

I have just played through System Shock (2023) and while playing it, noticed that my Nvidia RTX 3080 FE fans were at pretty much 100% throughout the whole game, with some RPM variations. Playing through at 1440p all max settings, my GPU was at pretty much 99% utilisation throughout. While I understand that that sort of utilisation is going to produce all the heat and necessitate the GPU fans to kick in - it just didn't seem to match what I was visually seeing. I don't know enough about the remake of System Shock, is it a modern game made to look older as a design choice, or did they take an older game remaster it with new assets.

The 3080 FE fans are known to be quite loud and annoying, but I was concered that if this is a lower performance game - am I suffering other issues that would explain the fan usage. I decided to run a TimeSpy Extreme benchmark run and got a score of 7133 overall, which is some 5% lower than the average score of this CPU/GPU combination at 7528 and some 18% lower than the best score (I know I don't have the other components or cooling to get near that).

Graphics score: 8698

CPU score: 3532

PC specs:

Asus TUF Z390M-PRO Gaming WIFI

Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.5GHz

Corsair H115i Pro RGB

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2666MHz (2x 8GB)

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 FE

256GB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe

Corsair RM750X Gold 750W

Results: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-9700K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING (WI-FI) (3dmark.com)

CPU max frequency - 4653 MHz

CPU average frequency - 4395 MHz

CPU max temperature - Not reported

CPU average temperature - 51C

GPU max clock frequency - 1935 MHz

GPU average frequency - 1766 MHz

GPU max memory frequency - 1333 MHz

GPU average memory frequency - 1333 MHz

GPU max temperature - 69C (nice)

GPU average temperature - 45C (nice)

Even though my GPU is running at stock speeds, I don't understand why I'm 5% lower than the average score, if my thermals and frequencies all appear to be good enough.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I thought I'd rather post here and check, even if it is to give me some piece of mind.

Scores look fine, your CPU is probably bringing it down. I would refrain from comparing your system to other identical systems. Small discrepancies like a 5% difference are down to either cooling or just the silicon lottery.

If you’re concerned about 100% fan speeds, which is awfully high, you could create a custom fan curve to keep it quieter, especially if it averages 45*C. My undervolted 6800 averages 74*C in games and the fans still don’t go anywhere near 100%.

37 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

GPU average temperature - 45C

Also this isn't possible, there is no way its at 100% load and scoring where it should be at only 45c. Unless you have a chiller hooked up to it and haven't said anything. Probably over 75c while in games under load.