HD upgrade recommendation for Toshiba Satellite Z830

Hello, I’m looking into upgrading my parents old Satellite Z830 laptop with a new cheap non-mechanical drive. They have a mechanical 128GB hd in there and it’s really slow. I’m just not sure what to look for exactly and not sure if modern drives will be compatible since this laptop is quite old. For the size anything at or above 128GB would be fine as they mostly use usb sticks for storage.

Bonus recommendation: memory upgrade. They have 6GB so I thought I might as well look into upgrading to 8GB. Again, not sure what would be the optimal ram upgrade here.

Budget: as low as possible since the laptop is old and I believe that any upgrade will be much better regardless of cost.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.
Edited by BigPatate
Budget

If the current drive is SATA, which it probably is, than any 2.5" SSD should do fine. Just buy one of the cheap 256GB or 512GB.

Do you have only one Ram slot ? otherwise you could go 2*6GB instead.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

Thanks leclod, I went for a Transcend TS128GMSA230S. I took a look at the laptop specs and it has a msata drive, not mechanical like I thought. Yet the perfs for the Toshiba drive in there are abysmal. The Transcend is about 40CAD and benchmarks show that it’s a lot faster than the Toshiba.

For the ram I believe it’s 2GB on-board + 4GB stick in the only expansion slot. I will check in more once I get the new hd and the laptop opened. It requires a special bit for the middle screw so I has to order that as well.