Ad blocker for entire home network?

Frank Cas

Does anyone know if there are any ad blockers i can install on a raspberry pie to block ads on all devices at home?

I only know of pi-hole and it does not block you-tube ads when watching in a browser. It's the Skippable ads. I can block them with a plug-in but looking for more of a hole house option.

Thanks

DNS sinks like Pi-hole or AdGuard Home are great at blocking most ads, but they can't block YouTube ads. YouTube ad blocking has to be done with a browser extension (or third party app on mobile).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

DNS sinks like Pi-hole or AdGuard Home are great at blocking most ads, but they can't block YouTube ads. YouTube ad blocking has to be done with a browser extension (or third party app on mobile).

I'm surprised there is no way do it other than a browser extension can you explain a little why that is?

BTW can you suggest one for chrome?

4 hours ago, Frank Cas said:

I'm surprised there is no way do it other than a browser extension can you explain a little why that is?

BTW can you suggest one for chrome?

DNS sinkholes can only block ads coming from a specific domain. YouTube uses the same domain to serve ads and video, so there's no way for a DNS level ad blocker to distinguish between ads and the video you wanted.

uBlock Origin is the de-facto ad blocker. Others exist, but uBlock Origin is the most active with the most features for the least money (free) on the most platforms. It's the only ad blocker that would reliably work on YouTube while they were still very actively switching up the ad blocker detection a few months ago.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

10 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

DNS sinkholes can only block ads coming from a specific domain. YouTube uses the same domain to serve ads and video, so there's no way for a DNS level ad blocker to distinguish between ads and the video you wanted.

uBlock Origin is the de-facto ad blocker. Others exist, but uBlock Origin is the most active with the most features for the least money (free) on the most platforms. It's the only ad blocker that would reliably work on YouTube while they were still very actively switching up the ad blocker detection a few months ago.

That makes sense, are these browser extensions safe? I would assume they scan every web site you vist to work.

12 hours ago, Frank Cas said:

That makes sense, are these browser extensions safe? I would assume they scan every web site you vist to work.

Extension-based ad blockers are widely used and safe. They need access to pretty much everything in your browser to do what they do, but assuming you're running Chrome on Windows every reputable ad blocker is more privacy conscious than the browser and OS you're running them on.

If you're still concerned, open source extensions like uBlock Origin or AdGuard provide some security against potential abuse, since anyone could examine the code used to run them. Open source projects are not impervious to malicious behavior, but few are bold enough to provide written record of their misdeeds, and these are projects with a long (in internet time) history of security and privacy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop: