Ryzen 9 Running Hot under AIO

WakelessFoil

So my friend build a PC for doing Astro photography and he has a ryzen 9 5950X. When the CPU is at idle the processor sits around 45 - 70 C and fluctuates a good bit. I’m not used to this and don’t think this is normal operation. He has a NZXT AIO with a large rad and two 240mm fans. This setup should idle around 35 if my instincts are correct. What could be the issue here?

20 minutes ago, WakelessFoil said:

So my friend build a PC for doing Astro photography and he has a ryzen 9 5950X. When the CPU is at idle the processor sits around 45 - 70 C and fluctuates a good bit. I’m not used to this and don’t think this is normal operation. He has a NZXT AIO with a large rad and two 240mm fans. This setup should idle around 35 if my instincts are correct. What could be the issue here?

fan speed, incorrect thermal paste or bad thermal paste, not enough air in the system(not in a well ventilated space

25 minutes ago, WakelessFoil said:

NZXT AIO might require their software for proper pump control. Its also important to consider what wattage 'idle' is using, since that can vary drastically depending on background tasks. Something the Power Plan can affect as well, if that's set to Performance.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

On 12/26/2023 at 2:32 PM, WakelessFoil said:

Photo or diagram of the PC with the side panel off, please. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Check your fan curve for the AIO pump header you are using specifically to see if it is set for static or gradual curve in speed as temps come up. If it is too low at lower temp, it wont keep up and the temp will go up and if you are using a gradual fan curve it will just keep oscilating up and down as it cant keep up when it has temp down lower and then ramps up to play catch up when it starts to rise and causes the temp to fall back down... cycling up and down... This is especially apparant if you use the weird default settings in some bios for gradual curves... They have barely any power at the 30 degree range and start ramping that power up post 40. To my knowledge most AIO pumps don't do well at 30-40%. Personally I set my pump speed to 75% or so (enough to keep up with 90% of my tasks and still be whisper quiet) and then instantly ramp to 100% at around 75 degrees. That way it isnt surging up and down in pumping