US international layout not working

Hello

I am posting this in hope to fix my keyboard layout.

I have currently an US international layout on my keyboard and it worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Windows 10 seem to have suddenly desided that US international is no longer the same as before. It suddenly stoped reacting to the right alt on my keyboard for the special characters. It still detects the keys but it just doesn't do anything with them. I currently am using the mhu/micro symbol a lot which is supposed to be under the key combination m + right alt, but nothing happens when I type it. It also does not matter in which program I am working. I already tried changing the layout away from us international and back but still nothing.

Does anyone know a possible solution for it?

Already big thanks for reading my post :)

Damn, I just tried it and switching to DE layout on an US ANSI keyboard it doesn't work. (ANSI US keyboard, switching to DE in windows 10). I distinctly remember this working a couple of months ago.

So my guess is this a general windows issue and not something broken on your end.

Quick update: the AltGr button (which apparently is alt+ctrl) still works, as I can type the altgr+q and get the @ sign, same with other keys. So my guess is they just removed the mu from the german keyboard layout in windows... if that is the case, they are friggin idiots.

Wait, i just tried this aswell but also with just alt and on the q key it still works, but when i do m and alt (without an editor open) it opens a broken window of a program called macrium reflect. It never has done that before so i guess macrium is the cullprit in my case. i am gonna se if i can fix this.

OK, I found the solution, and it is not Microsofts fault but Nvidia. Geforce Experience has the default of alt+ctrl+m being mute microphone.  Change that to nothing or whatever you like and it works again. Tested it and now it works again for me.

Kudos to whoever posted this on reddit AND edited their post to actually contain the solution!!

2 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

OK, I found the solution, and it is not Microsofts fault but Nvidia. Geforce Experience has the default of alt+ctrl+m being mute microphone.  Change that to nothing or whatever you like and it works again. Tested it and now it works again for me.

Kudos to whoever posted this on reddit AND edited their post to actually contain the solution!!

I did not know Geforce Experience had that feature so I'll keep it in mind for the future, But in my case it rlly was the macrium reflect. It had a shortcut "m+alt" to open its ReflectMonitor or whatrever it is, so i removed the shortcut and now i can type µ again 🙂

So thank you very much for looking in to this with me and I'll certainly keep the Geforce thing in mind for the next time it happens.