Video Output issue

Butanji

Hey all,

hope you guys guys solve a problem with me.

Ill start off with specs

Mobo: ASUS Prime x570 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800x

GPU: 3080ti Gigabyte Vision OC 

RAM: 2x16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz   

SSD: 970 EVO Plus 1tb x 2

PSU: Corsair RM850x

So on Monday I was playing a session of ready or not, and mid session the computer just decides to stop video output. The game was still going and you can hear audio and there was control of the computer if you clicked buttons and such. Concerned, I turned off the computer with the power button and attempted to turn the computer back on again to just see what was going on. The computer restarts no problem, but within seconds of seeing my desktop… same problem. Now to make sure, I try restarting my computer another time and surely enough, it stops video output once again. 

attempting to diagnose and having a a second computer on hand, I go through the motions and troubleshoot the best I can. I swap the gpu from my second rig (gigabyte 3060ti) to the trouble computer  and vise versa. The trouble computer flairs to life and maintains video output regularly like a functioning computer should. The second computer however is now having the same problem where there’s temporary video output and then it disappears.

so I obviously think there’s something wrong with the 3080ti, and I bring it to Canada computers to get it replaced since I purchased the store’s warranty. When they do their checks on my card, They run into the same issue (no video output, fans are spinning, lights up) but anyways, they do honor the warranty and They were able to replace my 3080ti to a ROG strix 4070ti. 

i go home to try the new card out, but even with the 4070ti, it seems that it’s still doing the same thing. 

my theory is that I need to update some bios firmware? Or do a factory reset. I have access to a 3070ti and I COULD try the 3070ti and see if it’ll video output with that card as well.

But I don’t know if further testing can yield results, but I’m wondering if beefier cards just are just more power than the computer can handle and just simply not run

I’d love to learn a thing or two, so please if someone can teach me if they’ve also experienced the same thing

You're close, but you should start with the GPU drivers, not the BIOS or firmware. I would do the classic, run DDU to thoroughly clean out your drivers and install a slightly older driver version and see if the problem persists.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-

15 minutes ago, Butanji said:

But I don’t know if further testing can yield results, but I’m wondering if beefier cards just are just more power than the computer can handle and just simply not run

That's not really a thing. PCIe is backwards compatible, so PCIe 4.0 cards will run in PCIe 3.0 motherboards, just with less bandwidth. If the card needs more power than the PSU can supply, it'll run until it draws too much power, at which point the overcurrent protection in your power supply will kick in, and shut down the whole system in an instant to prevent damaging components.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!