Good backup softwares that start when external drive is plugged in

I've been looking for a good backup software for my laptop and I haven't really found anything that works how I want it to so I was hoping for suggestions. My primary computer is a laptop that I plug into a dock when I go home. What I was hoping to do was have my computer backup to an external drive automatically when I plug it into the dock. I have seena couple softwares that do that but every one I have looked at has at least one problem. I don't want to deal with constant ads and I am more than willing to pay for a good software but I don't want to do a subscription. I tried looking at open source options which would be nice but I didn't find any that work when the drive is plugged in. Any good suggestions? This is for a windows computer.

2 hours ago, Alec19 said:

I've been looking for a good backup software for my laptop and I haven't really found anything that works how I want it to so I was hoping for suggestions. My primary computer is a laptop that I plug into a dock when I go home. What I was hoping to do was have my computer backup to an external drive automatically when I plug it into the dock. I have seena couple softwares that do that but every one I have looked at has at least one problem. I don't want to deal with constant ads and I am more than willing to pay for a good software but I don't want to do a subscription. I tried looking at open source options which would be nice but I didn't find any that work when the drive is plugged in. Any good suggestions? This is for a windows computer.

If you're running Windows 7 or newer, Microsoft already has a pretty decent File History system that can do exactly what you want.

https://it.nmu.edu/docs/backup-using-windows-file-history

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1013067/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

If you're running Windows 7 or newer, Microsoft already has a pretty decent File History system that can do exactly what you want.

https://it.nmu.edu/docs/backup-using-windows-file-history

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1013067/

Oh yeah. I did try that but I was really annoyed that I kept getting warnings saying my drive was disconnected when I wasn't docked. That was super annoying since it kept popping up seemingly hourly. Is there a way to disable those warnings because otherwise that option doesn't really work for me.

Just now, Alec19 said:

Oh yeah. I did try that but I was really annoyed that I kept getting warnings saying my drive was disconnected when I wasn't docked. That was super annoying since it kept popping up seemingly hourly. Is there a way to disable those warnings because otherwise that option doesn't really work for me.

Such notifications are understandably annoying. You might be able to disable them in the Notification settings, but I'm uncertain as I don't use Windows File History. I backup to a Synology NAS that's always online within my home.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

35 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Such notifications are understandably annoying. You might be able to disable them in the Notification settings, but I'm uncertain as I don't use Windows File History.

I'll take a look but I may not be able to do that without disabling the useful notifications. Are there any other good options in case that doesn't pan out?