Windows 8 SSD Optimization

MTROB

I am going to be installing Windows 8 Full version onto a brand new pc that has a 120GB SSD. What files should be on that SSD (Drivers Most used games and software)? Also can I set Win8 so that when I install a program it will go to the program files on a HDD as default? I should also probably move the user files as well to the HDD.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

1. Start Registry Editor by entering “Regedit†in the search All programs.

2. Locate the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

3. Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir & change the default value C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in.

4. Click OK and Exit.

However if you're using steam I believe it has an option built into the settings.

i have 0 games and as little programs that i can have on my 120 gb ssd and I have 15 gb free so.... yeah....

I will be using Steam, but is the option for moving games or the whole file directory?

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

Thank you I read through that link that really helps.

You don't need to move Program Files.. just install your program on your HDD that you don't want on your SSD. Simple as that.

120GB SSD is huge, you can put Windows, all your programs, and most played games (or big games that you want the fastest load times) on the SSD, the rest, including your personal files, videos and music on your HDD.

DO NOT, """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""optimize"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" your SSD in Windows like some people say on the web. They have no idea what they are saying or doing. You have 2 types of SSD that is popular (MLC type): synchronous memory and asynchronous memory.

Synchronous cost more, but support a huge amount of writes, hence why their warranty is 5 years, and they are expected to last 9 to 11 years based on usage. To demo this, I have such SSD, I do software programming, and every time I hit the compile button it does a huge amount of writing, just as bad as if I was attempting to defrag my SSD practically. No sign of breaking, I did 0 """""""""optimization""""""" crap.. I am using my SSD like an HDD. No tweak or anything. Let Windows be default. SSDLife program estimates 9 years left out of SSD. You certain don't do as much writing as I do on the disk. So this is your best ultra safe options. Another beenfit of synchronous memory SSD is that benchamrk reflects better real world results.

Asynchronous in the other hand support much less writes, and benchmarks don't really reflect real world usage. But they are bit cheaper. They come with a 3 year warranty due to the lower write amount, but is expected to last 5-6 years easy. So even if you have this SSD, by the time you have any problem with it, you would have already change it with something faster, bigger, and probably last even longer, especially at the paste SSD are going in technology innovations.

So, use and enjoy your SSD as you did like if you had your HDD. Enjoy your computer properly. Just don't defrag (as this is useless, as data is purposefully fragmented in your SSD to use every chip even lengthy.. More tricks these days that SSD uses to push even further their life span).