Security Cameras

Timspector

Looking for a home security camera that has good night vision, a mobile app, and I way to start recording from away from home. Absolutely no subscription. 

Single camera, or NVR?

I'm a fan of the Reolink NVRs. I have 2 of them at our offices all with RLC-810A cameras, and am considering getting an NVR for my home as well.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

I would be careful buying into an ecosystem with the intention of never paying a subscription AND having a mobile app.  Several companies have started out this way and then changed or made it so the cameras were basically useless without the subscription. 

I just swapped out two different sets of cameras over the years, and now have just admitted it and pay $10 a month for my cameras. 

Even those Reolink ones above are essentially the same  M.O. that many of these companies have had, which have changed and have eventually eliminated their free tier to keep things financially viable, or prevent them from going under. Maybe I'll be wrong, just my experience over the last many years. 

Just a single camera, I'd prefer wifi based but running cables is not out of the question. I wouldn't mind the subscription but it's only for when I'm out of town for work. This is only once ot twice within a couple months so a subscription would be a Waist of money. 

Even if it was limited to starting and stopping recording on an app that would be fine, I don't need cloud storage or anything, that's apart of what I would like to avoid. Being able to save the video to my pc rather than an SD would be great, but not required. There are just so many companies and brands out there I don't wanna buy something that won't work how I'd like 

3 hours ago, Timspector said:

Just a single camera, I'd prefer wifi based but running cables is not out of the question. I wouldn't mind the subscription but it's only for when I'm out of town for work. This is only once ot twice within a couple months so a subscription would be a Waist of money. 

Things can happen at any time, even when you're home. Hopefully you never actually "need" it, but you'll be frustrated if its not recording one night because you were home and figured you didn't "need" it.  It's easier to let them run just in case.  At least on outdoor cameras where it doesn't matter. Indoor cameras, I shut them off when I'm home. 

My subscription is an "unlimited" number of cameras (actually up to 99, they use the term unlimited), so I have quite a few as they are relatively cheap (Wyze cameras).   If you really only need a single camera, it would be cheaper than the $10 I'm paying.  I just needed more cameras, so I went unlimited. 

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Things can happen at any time, even when you're home. Hopefully you never actually "need" it, but you'll be frustrated if its not recording one night because you were home and figured you didn't "need" it.  It's easier to let them run just in case.  At least on outdoor cameras where it doesn't matter. Indoor cameras, I shut them off when I'm home. 

My subscription is an "unlimited" number of cameras (actually up to 99, they use the term unlimited), so I have quite a few as they are relatively cheap (Wyze cameras).   If you really only need a single camera, it would be cheaper than the $10 I'm paying.  I just needed more cameras, so I went unlimited. 

I do not believe in paying for an item and having to pay to use it on top of that. I stated a few times now I'm looking for a subscription free solution so please stop suggesting it.

• 1 month later...

It’s kind of hard to find a good security camera without any subscription at all and good remote monitoring capabilities. The thing is, the manufacturer still needs to pay for servers somewhere that forwards the transcoded video to your phone, it doesn’t go directly from your router to your phone. I’ve been using my $30 USD D-Link DCS-6500LH for two years now and it’s been great, it costs $1 USD per month via an in-app subscription from the App Store that I can cancel anytime.

There’s also some cameras from TP-Link that doesn’t require a cloud subscription, but they require an SD card which costs as much as one or two years of cloud storage. Also, security cameras that records to a local SD card is stupid in my opinion because if the thief steal or destroys your camera, well, then the footage is destroyed too.

A third alternative is to set up your own transcoding server connected to a camera at home, however, this requires that you’re willing to spend the time, energy and headache on it.

A forth alternative is to take a computer, connect it to a webcam, setup Parsec on it and enter full screen mode on the webcam viewing app. Then, from your phone, you can just open the Parsec app to monitor your computers screen (which shows the webcams viewer) from anywhere in the world. Parsec is free and has no session time limit so you can be away for weeks and as long as your power doesn’t go out you’ll be fine able to view the webcams view and screenrecord your phones screen to record what’s happening.

WYZE CAMERAS WITH AN MICRO SD CARD INSIDE OF THEM

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!