Pixel 7 pr0

Zaydoon

What a disappointment, my new pixel 7 pro has no HDMI output through its usb. I have daily lecture presentation and I always use my phone( Samsung, OnePlus) why they do this [of course money]. Although following many phone review channels no one mentioned this lack. Anyone help me with that. Thank you

25 minutes ago, Zaydoon said:

What a disappointment, my new pixel 7 pro has no HDMI output through its usb. I have daily lecture presentation and I always use my phone( Samsung, OnePlus) why they do this [of course money]. Although following many phone review channels no one mentioned this lack. Anyone help me with that. Thank you

Unfortunately, pixel devices do not support external connection to a monitor other than screen mirroring from having a pixel 7a right now.

Samsung uses an app called Samsung Dex which is built into the phone to support that and OnePlus as well.

Google doesn't seem to have anything on it either.

1 minute ago, code_ said:

Unfortunately, pixel devices do not support external connection to a monitor other than screen mirroring from having a pixel 7a right now.

Samsung uses an app called Samsung Dex which is built into the phone to support that and OnePlus as well.

Google doesn't seem to have anything on it either.

try this link:

Project your Pixel phone's screen - Pixel Phone Help (google.com)

On 12/12/2023 at 7:58 AM, Zaydoon said:

This is a good reason to always read a detailed specs site (like gsmarena) in addition to watching reviews.

Why don't reviewers mention this? Because frankly nobody plugs their phone into external monitors ("nobody" is relative to the number of devices OEMs sell). Samsung has the best experience, but even then DeX is still used by a minority of owners, and even Samsung doesn't allow DeX on all devices (older Flips can't, not sure about newest flip).

Casting/projecting your phone is definitely Google's preferred alternative to plugging it in to a display, even if it's a wors experience. 

Many use it for PowerPoint and google slide presentations especially in guest lecturer presentation without connecting to local network, Chromecast or inserting  usb drive into a computer, this the causes why mobile PowerPoint and slides applications in your phone. 

On 12/17/2023 at 7:50 AM, Zaydoon said:

Many use it for PowerPoint and google slide presentations especially in guest lecturer presentation without connecting to local network, Chromecast or inserting  usb drive into a computer, this the causes why mobile PowerPoint and slides applications in your phone. 

Many is a highly relative term. Compared to how many devices are sold each year? It's a very small minority, especially compared to the general population.

Yes you might be in an environment where it's more common, but the simple reality is for every person that does use there device for those tasks, there are a half dozen or more who never use those features.

Example: Google Pixel is nowhere near Samsung in terms of sales numbers. However, I live and work in a self selecting area where pixel users are about equal to galaxy users. 

Tangents aside, manufacturers focus on features that will affect as much as the user base as possible. This means niche (yes, plugging your phone into stuff is a niche feature), are always a lower priority and sometimes don't get worked on at all.

Not saying that you shouldn't be upset, but that if you plan to use a device for "non normie tasks", it's unfortunately up to the consumer to make sure it will work before buying said device.

On 12/17/2023 at 8:50 AM, Zaydoon said:

I sell phones for a living. Never once heard of this as a use case. People use tablets/laptops for that. 

On 12/20/2023 at 12:37 PM, seanondemand said:

I sell phones for a living. Never once heard of this as a use case. People use tablets/laptops for that. 

It's an edge case for sure. 

It might be common for OP and their peer group; but the wider public never does this.

On 12/20/2023 at 1:37 PM, seanondemand said:

Tablets are oversized phones. Not entirely sure why they are able to output video but a phone cannot. Either it is a specialized chip that handles this that cannot fit in a phone or it is another feature to put on the back of the box in a feeble attempt to sell a tablet, which is like I said, an oversized smartphone. It actually could be both, but how should I know? Why buy a tablet if you already have a phone? I already have several Android devices, I am not buying even more. Three of them are tablets. One of them straight-up has fricking micro-HDMI! The one with micro-HDMI is definitely able to ouput video...well, not really, micro-HDMI is a notoriously terrible video connector. Another tablet I own uses a proprietary docking station that supports HDMI out. When using the docking station, you have to supply a mouse and keyboard, the tablet comes with the docking station but not a mouse and keyboard required to use it when it is docked.

Laptops are also usually terrible because most consumer-oriented ones only offer HDMI instead of the vastly superior DisplayPort. Honestly, TVs are also terrible too for a similar reason, though a few probably do support DisplayPort anyway.

Also, casting your screen using a wireless display is an actively terrible experience in many ways. Come to think of it, wasn't Miracast removed from Android for that very reason? Chromecast was also heavily marketed during the mid-2010s and was similarly terrible. It was later renamed Google Cast and then its functionality was merged into the Google TV app, which does not prominently advertise this original feature as much as the original Chromecast did.

On 12/13/2023 at 11:13 AM, NavyCobra1417 said:

This is a good reason to always read a detailed specs site (like gsmarena) in addition to watching reviews.

Why don't reviewers mention this? Because frankly nobody plugs their phone into external monitors ("nobody" is relative to the number of devices OEMs sell). Samsung has the best experience, but even then DeX is still used by a minority of owners, and even Samsung doesn't allow DeX on all devices (older Flips can't, not sure about newest flip).

Casting/projecting your phone is definitely Google's preferred alternative to plugging it in to a display, even if it's a wors experience. 

Honestly, I really wish I had actually paid extremely close attention to phones in general the way I used to before buying th Pixel 7 Pro. While the Pixel 7 Pro honestly does have some nice features, one of them honestly makes the device earn the Pro part of its name even if I do not use this feature very often, Night Shot. Unfortunately, features like those are not enough to make up for the fact that Mali GPUs are still wholly incompatible with Yuzu, and Yuzu is currently the only way to do any "modern" gaming with a smartphone, unless Minecraft still qualifies as "modern" gaming. I seriously did not know just how bad Mali actually was until I bought this phone and tried Yuzu on it, only to then find myself asking for support on their discord server just so they can tell me that Mali cannot game. Reviewers did say that the Google Pixel 7 Pro was not great at gaming compared to even the OnePlus 11, but I didn't think it was that much worse. Unfortunately, the OnePlus 11 suffers from inferior front camera placement.

Honestly, damn. If I have this much to say, I really should make posts like this their own thread.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all, now I have one of my other android phones connecting to presentation screen through USB c and it is working as always. this is a simple task by any android device, USB to HDMI, I thought pixel is the mother of android devices and should have this feature.

On 12/12/2023 at 5:58 PM, Zaydoon said:

Just cast it (most projectors have wireless casting)