X670E-E Mainboard Recommendations

NTDaws

Howdy Fellas,

I've had a consistent amount of issues with ASUS motherboards in the past few years and I'd like to swap to a new brand.

Requirements:

-ATX or E-ATX

-2 ARGB Ports

-Very good power delivery for the 7950X (I already own the CPU)

-At least 2x Gen 5 M.2, and 2x Gen 4 M.2, so at least 4 total.

-Shielded PCI-E 5 x16

Thanks!

The geek himself.

Do you have a particular reason to need X670E? (We get many people asking this exact question, only to find they have no real need for it. There is a misconception that you need it for better performance or overclocking which is simply not true). 

15 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Do you have a particular reason to need X670E? (We get many people asking this exact question, only to find they have no real need for it. There is a misconception that you need it for better performance or overclocking which is simply not true). 

Agreed, the B650E generally has all the same things and is what I'm using on a 7800X3D.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just go get it out of the way, the only B650 board that I can see with 2x Gen5 M.2 and 2x Gen4 M.2 is the Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E WIFI so I guess if for some reason that is actually necessary, you only have one option there. 

Your extremely specific anti Asus, M.2 and A-RGB port requirements narrow down all the X670 boards to these 4 3. 

Gigabyte: 

• X670E AORUS XTREME
  • X670E AORUS MASTER

MSI (these two are actually exactly the same minus the watercooling): 

• MPG X670E CARBON EK-X D-RGB
  • MPG X670E CARBON WIFI

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NQHkDEcgDPm34Mns3C93K6SJoBnua-x9O-y_6hv8sPs/edit#gid=0

4 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

You're extremely specific anti Asus, M.2 and A-RGB port requirements narrow down all the X670 boards to these 4 3.

Seems pretty crazy to me to let A-RGB define your purchasing decisions, given RGB controllers exist.

IMO you only need PCIe 5 for a single M.2 slot and a single x16 slot, and only if you think you're buying top-end GPUs for the life of the board.  Anything else PCIe 4 is fine, games aren't going to need PCIe 5 NVMe speeds in the lifetime of AM5 as were only just starting to see games require NVMe at all.

While a top-end AM5 board might last several CPU generations, what's the point if you could have replaced the board for less than the difference you paid for the original one?  There could be new features on new chipsets you are losing out on, just for the sake of not replacing the board.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Seems pretty crazy to me to let A-RGB define your purchasing decisions, given RGB controllers exist.

IMO you only need PCIe 5 for a single M.2 slot and a single x16 slot, and only if you think you're buying top-end GPUs for the life of the board.  Anything else PCIe 4 is fine, games aren't going to need PCIe 5 speeds in the lifetime of AM5.

While a top-end AM5 board might last several CPU generations, what's the point if you could have replaced the board for less than the difference you paid for the original one?  There could be new features on new chipsets you are losing out on, just for the sake of not replacing the board.

This.

Though, look on the brightside, they made it easy with only 3 boards that fit that criteria. 😁

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

This.

Though, look on the brightside, they made it easy with only 3 boards that fit that criteria. 😁

Of course they cost as much as a B650E + CPU + Cooler. 😛

Though I'm wondering the use-case for the 7950X here, given the 7800X3D is a better gaming CPU, but who is going to worry about RGB on a production rig?  Colour me confused.

17 hours ago, NTDaws said:

Howdy Fellas,

I've had a consistent amount of issues with ASUS motherboards in the past few years and I'd like to swap to a new brand.

Requirements:

-ATX or E-ATX

-2 ARGB Ports

-Very good power delivery for the 7950X (I already own the CPU)

-At least 2x Gen 5 M.2, and 2x Gen 4 M.2, so at least 4 total.

-Shielded PCI-E 5 x16

Thanks!

I've been using the MSI X670E Carbon Wifi with my 7950X3D since launch. Been a great board. Only minus on this board is that MSI is quite slow to offer BIOS updates.

@GuiltySpark_@Alex Atkin UK

The reason for all the specific things is because I have two ARGB controllers that need two different ports. The X670E isn't so much as a requirement but generally I like the design of these boards more as I am going for a more aesthetically pleasing design. I'm also a Network Engineer in school and do some programming on the side so having that performance without issue is why I own a 7950X. I didn't wanna go with off brand RGB controllers as I wanted everything to sync together. It also simplifies things if I change motherboard manufacturers because it will all work together either way. I have two Gen 5 drives and 2 Gen 4 drives and I don't want to lose that speed if I go only Gen 4.

Thank you for the motherboard recommendations.

The geek himself.

3 hours ago, NTDaws said:

@GuiltySpark_@Alex Atkin UK

The reason for all the specific things is because I have two ARGB controllers that need two different ports. The X670E isn't so much as a requirement but generally I like the design of these boards more as I am going for a more aesthetically pleasing design. I'm also a Network Engineer in school and do some programming on the side so having that performance without issue is why I own a 7950X. I didn't wanna go with off brand RGB controllers as I wanted everything to sync together. It also simplifies things if I change motherboard manufacturers because it will all work together either way. I have two Gen 5 drives and 2 Gen 4 drives and I don't want to lose that speed if I go only Gen 4.

Thank you for the motherboard recommendations.

Actual code compilation?  That might be the one situation where perhaps it would make a difference, although I still think IOPS are likely more important than PCIe Generation.  So at a guess an enterprise PCIe 3 would possibly outrun a consumer PCIe 5.