Jellyfin constantly buffering despite having a direct connection

Is there a way to know what's the problem with my setup? I dont think I should be having constant buffering with my Jellyfin server. My NAS its just a simple Windows 10 PC with a RAID5 Pool, I exposed the 8096 port on my router and my internet bandwidth is about 400Mbps and 150Mbps where I want to stream movies (gf's home). Apparently there is no difference if I enable QSV from Intel to decode or disable all hardware acceleration so I dont know what to check, please some help:)

See if I'm understanding correctly, you have a 400Mbps upload, she has a 150Mbps download? 

When watching the movie at her place, under playback info, does it say that the video is being transcoded or direct playing? Can also check from the logs; and actually does the log (admin dashboard>advanced>logs) show any errors?

Also for context, are the files substantially large? How are you connecting at her place, through a computer/phone/tv/console :: browser or app?

Are all video playbacks affected, such as small low bitrate, low resolution files?

you can read a bit here for insight into jellyfin's buffering config

5 minutes ago, BM813 said:

See if I'm understanding correctly, you have a 400Mbps upload, she has a 150Mbps download? 

When watching the movie at her place, under playback info, does it say that the video is being transcoded or direct playing? Can also check from the logs; and actually does the log (admin dashboard>advanced>logs) show any errors?

Also for context, are the files substantially large? How are you connecting at her place, through a computer/phone/tv/console :: browser or app?

Are all video playbacks affected, such as small low bitrate, low resolution files?

you can read a bit here for insight into jellyfin's buffering config

Yep, my place has 400Mbps both upload and download, she has 150Mbps both upload and download. Which I think is enough? The files are around 2GB~ at  much, 1080p encoded with HEVC and 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus audio. Nothing special of an encode I guess but good enough. Playback info shows Auto - Direct Playing. I have tried with PC, laptop, phone and browser and still buffers, and buffers constantly like every 3-5 seconds. Havent take a look at the logs, I will.

1 hour ago, Robert Urrutia said:

Yep, my place has 400Mbps both upload and download, she has 150Mbps both upload and download. Which I think is enough? The files are around 2GB~ at  much, 1080p encoded with HEVC and 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus audio. Nothing special of an encode I guess but good enough. Playback info shows Auto - Direct Playing. I have tried with PC, laptop, phone and browser and still buffers, and buffers constantly like every 3-5 seconds. Havent take a look at the logs, I will.

Yes plenty of bandwidth, and that file size is very reasonable (making sure it's not 50-60GB).

If the playback is direct, then no transcoding is occurring and QSV isn't being utilized so mostly likely no issues there. 

I'm interested to see what the logs say

2 hours ago, BM813 said:

Yes plenty of bandwidth, and that file size is very reasonable (making sure it's not 50-60GB).

If the playback is direct, then no transcoding is occurring and QSV isn't being utilized so mostly likely no issues there. 

Took a look at the logs, basicaly empty except for yesterday's log where I was moving around transcoding and configurations trying to figure out whats my problem. 

Screenshot 2023-12-10 162217.png

3 hours ago, BM813 said:

Mind taking a look?

log_20231210.log

Based on that log, looks like transcoding was occurring, were you forcing it to transcode?

What CPU is in the server?

the error of concern is 'containerbitrateexceedslimit' ; hence a forced transcode, possibly a software bug as mentioned here

Other things to try:

From Dashboard>Playback>Transcoding

-Select transcoding thread count as Max (seeing a thread count of two in the log)

From Client Player

Profile>Playback>Video Quality 

-Select the maximum bitrate (4k-120Mbps) home & Internet (not sure how you are connecting remotely) some devices report an

Is there a GPU in the machine, model? If so, could maybe use it for transcoding needs depending on NVENC generation

On 12/10/2023 at 6:29 PM, BM813 said:

Based on that log, looks like transcoding was occurring, were you forcing it to transcode?

What CPU is in the server?

Yeah I was kinda playing trying to figure it out why it wasnt working. The CPU is Intel Core i5-10400. Here is a cleaner log with only direct playing (Auto)

Log.txt

On 12/10/2023 at 7:02 PM, BM813 said:

the error of concern is 'containerbitrateexceedslimit' ; hence a forced transcode, possibly a software bug as mentioned here

Other things to try:

From Dashboard>Playback>Transcoding

-Select transcoding thread count as Max (seeing a thread count of two in the log)

From Client Player

Profile>Playback>Video Quality 

-Select the maximum bitrate (4k-120Mbps) home & Internet (not sure how you are connecting remotely) some devices report an

Is there a GPU in the machine, model? If so, could maybe use it for transcoding needs depending on NVENC generation

Thanks for your reply, I added a cleaner log in the previous reply. I guess it could be something related to these lines 

"[WRN] [45] Jellyfin.Server.Middleware.ResponseTimeMiddleware: Slow HTTP Response from". 

I changed the settings you said, still no improvement. There is no GPU in the machine, still I enabled QSV just in case. But enabling or disabling Transcoding has no effect either

15 hours ago, Robert Urrutia said:

Thanks for your reply, I added a cleaner log in the previous reply. I guess it could be something related to these lines 

"[WRN] [45] Jellyfin.Server.Middleware.ResponseTimeMiddleware: Slow HTTP Response from". 

I changed the settings you said, still no improvement. There is no GPU in the machine, still I enabled QSV just in case. But enabling or disabling Transcoding has no effect either

As I understand that line is a hold over from previous versions of Jellyfin, It occurs on my config on LAN with a 10gb fiber connection, a status code of 200-299 is successful. 

CPU is very adequate, even for software based transcoding.

At this point I don't believe it's an issue with your Jellyfin setup, so without knowing more:

- hardware being over taxed by something else running

- your DDNS config

- Network congestion / Network hardware being taxed by a lot of devices

- it's running on windows (this shouldn't really be an issue, but it's windows)

Sorry I can't be more help, I take it Jellyfin serves up that stream just fine over LAN?