Keyboard inputs not registering in certain OS/Windows/programs/applications

Jsos16

I ran into this issue a little bit yesterday on my computer, but then restarting my computer fixed it. Now a coworker has experienced something similar so I'm interested to know how wide spread this might be. The issue relates to keyboard inputs only registering in certain program/applications and not others.  

KEYBOARD INPUTS NOT REGISTERING IN WINDOWS, BUT DOES IN OTHER PROGRAMS

Windows 10 OS, it looks like the OS is no longer registering keyboard inputs within only Windows, but other programs/software's do. For example if I press the Windows key the task bar will open like normal but typing characters and nothing is registering. But if I select Google Chrome which I have open I am able to type and get characters to show up there just fine. 

OSK - Key presses

My computer is working well now, but when I open OSK I see that only certain key presses on my keyboard are registering on the OSK GUI. I find it odd that regular characters are no longer showing signs of being actively used but others do. For example SHIFT, Windows Key, CTRL, CAPS Lock will register (toggle their color). But all the other characters (letters, numbers, misc) are no longer registering in the OSK GUI. .

I suspect Windows released an update or drivers changes relating to input devices and was curious if others saw the same behavior or knew what was going on.  

Thanks for reading and any feedback you might provide. 

Do you have another keyboard you can switch and test with?

Have you checked if the right keyboard language input is selected?

If it is after a Windows update, you could check the update history and then try uninstalling that update. There was the usual patch tuesday day before yesterday.

Thanks for the follow up.

The computer in question has only been used with a standard (no frills) USB keyboard.