First time building a sever.

Budget (including currency): 1000$ USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: NAS

Other details. I recently did an upgrade on my main tower and now have a MOBO(UF GAMING X570-PLUS) CPU(Ryzen7 5800x) and then 32 Gb of DDR4 I have no use for so I want to build my fist sever . I am wondering what would be some good mass storage for it and what OS I should use! 

What is this server used for? Just a NAS? 

How much storage space do you want?

Do you want to be able to add more storage later on easily? 

For now I will be using's it as just a NAS but maybe one day move up in to more

I'm looking at a min of 50Tb in raid of course

That won't be to big of a concern, I could go either way. I do have an old case I was looking at using that has 3.5" drive bays in the front of it but it's only not to many and big af

11 hours ago, HypeMunkey said:

I'm looking at a min of 50Tb

look into LGA1151 or AM4 boards, those are packed with 8 SATA port board in its release lineup and the CPU compatible with it are dime a dozen cheap.

For the old case, if it has 2x5.25 inch bay, you can slap a 3.5 inch HDD bay on it. Here's an example from Amazon that i found.

https://www.amazon.com/EverCool-Dual-Drive-Triple-Cooling/dp/B0032UUGF4

Add in a good PSU for 60-80$ (i REALLY prefer new on this but used is still a feasible option if the warranty on it isnt up), and its still sub 300$. If you want true thrift you could go for Dell Optiplex like what @Electronics Wizardy would recommend usually, but 50TB on RAID is hard to hit on 4 drives and thats what they usually comes with.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

15 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

look into LGA1151 or AM4 boards, those are packed with 8 SATA port board in its release lineup and the CPU compatible with it are dime a dozen cheap.

For the old case, if it has 2x5.25 inch bay, you can slap a 3.5 inch HDD bay on it. Here's an example from Amazon that i found.

https://www.amazon.com/EverCool-Dual-Drive-Triple-Cooling/dp/B0032UUGF4

Add in a good PSU for 60-80$ (i REALLY prefer new on this but used is still a feasible option if the warranty on it isnt up), and its still sub 300$. If you want true thrift you could go for Dell Optiplex like what @Electronics Wizardy would recommend usually, but 50TB on RAID is hard to hit on 4 drives and thats what they usually comes with.

The board I am using is an AM4 board out of an old gaming rig

As for the case it has 4 or 5 HDD bays I don't remember what size they are but I think that are 3.5 if not I can print and adapter for them

As for the PSU I'm going to use another old one I have in same old case. its only a few years old.

What would be a good size amount of storage? I don't want to make it to hard for my first time. I've been looking at the Seagate IronWolf Pro's. I was thinking of just going with 20Tb in raid 1(I think that's the right one) with 4 10Tb drives

17 hours ago, HypeMunkey said:

As for the case it has 4 or 5 HDD bays I don't remember what size they are

If you need to put it in another term, I mean the DVD bay in front of the case face. If you have 2 stacked on top of another like these, youre set to adapt it using the product i pointed out. (dont mind the DVD drive inside, the eject interferes with Pop's facia panel and i dont want to take it off entirely.)

image.thumb.jpeg.204081dab3e6795964c0be10aab4e86e.jpeg

17 hours ago, HypeMunkey said:

The board I am using is an AM4 board out of an old gaming rig

I didn't read up on that. If so you're set, but you would need a GPU, or swap the CPU for 5600G and flip the 5800X off on the used market. The difference between the 2 is trading between power consumption, or hardware encodes. For GPU i would recommend Nvidia so you could have access to NVENC media encoder which is great in quality and efficiency if you use this NAS for media consumption remotely but your idle power is going to be higher than NAS that uses CPU sided encoding either through its built in encoder (and AMD's AMF doesnt have the best quality compared to Nvidia and Intel offering) or software with x264.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 hours ago, SorryBella said:

If you need to put it in another term, I mean the DVD bay in front of the case face. If you have 2 stacked on top of another like these, youre set to adapt it using the product i pointed out. (dont mind the DVD drive inside, the eject interferes with Pop's facia panel and i dont want to take it off entirely.)

image.thumb.jpeg.204081dab3e6795964c0be10aab4e86e.jpeg

I didn't read up on that. If so you're set, but you would need a GPU, or swap the CPU for 5600G and flip the 5800X off on the used market. The difference between the 2 is trading between power consumption, or hardware encodes. For GPU i would recommend Nvidia so you could have access to NVENC media encoder which is great in quality and efficiency if you use this NAS for media consumption remotely but your idle power is going to be higher than NAS that uses CPU sided encoding either through its built in encoder (and AMD's AMF doesnt have the best quality compared to Nvidia and Intel offering) or software with x264.

I see what you mean with the 5.25 bays now and I have 4 of those on the case and turned out to be 6 x 3.5 inch bays. So I think I'll be good on space for a bit. 

As for encoding, because I'm planning on using for media for its primary focus I planned to put in an old 1050ti I have layin around.

23 minutes ago, HypeMunkey said:

I see what you mean with the 5.25 bays now and I have 4 of those on the case and turned out to be 6 x 3.5 inch bays. So I think I'll be good on space for a bit. 

As for encoding, because I'm planning on using for media for its primary focus I planned to put in an old 1050ti I have layin around.

yeah then its just the drive configuration. Im personally partial with Raid 5 because of ease of setup, 6x16 in RAID 5 would give you 80TB raw with 1 parity drive (the amount of drive that can fail before the whole data is gone)

21 hours ago, HypeMunkey said:

raid 1

This only supports 1 storage drive and 1 parity drive. Any next drive you add into RAID 1 will function as parity so you only have capacity of 1 drive in practice. This and RAID 0 is a 2 drive RAID setup.

3 hours ago, SorryBella said:

RAID 5

Sounds like what I had in mind. Like I said I wasn't sure witch was witch. 

I'm still not sure what OS I would need for something like this.