New Intel NUC not booting up

JPotze
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,

Your problem sounds very familiar to the issue I had which was highly annoying. With the NUC I used for my firewall, it would not boot as received with my nice Corsair 3200 SODIMMs. The only solution for me was to use compatible RAM temporarily to update the BIOS, then my Corsair RAM worked perfectly (at full speed). Luckily I had a laptop around with some compatible RAM I could steal temporarily. 

Hello fellow,

Recently i bought a Intel NUC7PJYHN Intel NUC Kit NUC7PJYHN Product Specifications

A Lexar NQ100 2.5" SATA ssd and Kingston 8GB pc4-3200 LC22 260-Pin SODIMM . 

After easy assembly my NUC won't turn on. The system does nothing, not even the fan spins or the screen doesn't do anything.

the power button LED is flashing 3 times Intel® NUC Won't Start, Power LED Blinks/Beeps Three Times...

i learned that the ram is incompatible with the NUC probabably becuase the MHZ are to high? I thought RAM would downclock automatically of whatever i thought. i thought it might work.

Is there any way to downclock the ram or do anything that this thing wil boot? 

Your problem sounds very familiar to the issue I had which was highly annoying. With the NUC I used for my firewall, it would not boot as received with my nice Corsair 3200 SODIMMs. The only solution for me was to use compatible RAM temporarily to update the BIOS, then my Corsair RAM worked perfectly (at full speed). Luckily I had a laptop around with some compatible RAM I could steal temporarily. 

1 hour ago, JPotze said:

i learned that the ram is incompatible with the NUC probabably becuase the MHZ are to high? I thought RAM would downclock automatically of whatever i thought. i thought it might work.

These low end cruddy nucs are really annoying on this account and HATE out of spec memory to the point they won't even bother putting it at 2133mhz. If you put slower memory in, force it on 2133 and lower voltages and then swap memory most of the time it works just fine.

Depending on how much this cost I'd actually recommend returning it since well there are WAY faster used and new options out there whilst also being equally and more efficient (faster units run at lower clocks for light work whilst this pentium struggles to run windows).

The other problem I have with the NUCs is the way they are designed they get clogged with dust and you have to completely dismantle them to clean it out.  Its far more time consuming and awkward than it should be.  They could have easily designed them so the fan was accessibly without taking the whole thing apart.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thanks for the suggestions. I dont have any other (slower) ram on hand so i guess i would return the current sodimm and change it for the slower ones. i will get 2x4gig for dual channel if i'm on it.

the NUC is for Home assistant and fast enough. it will be placed on a enviroment with very low air circulation so dust in the system is not an issue since my NAS from 2012! is still running almost spottless clean.

thanks for the feedback.