What are some great things about the iPhone?

Anonymous1234

The only good OS/Hardware integration on the market

The predictable, standardised featureset from handset to handset, no "will this one be janky with my payment card? Will the fingerprint sensorwork with ALL my apps?"

The draconian App store walled garden makes it by far the safest (NOT fully safe!) in terms of software.

Also, software support tends to last quite awhile (I'm an Android user), IIRC about 6-7 years from launch so that's a nice investment over Android phones. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

iOS is standardized for any apple device. It occasionally drives me crazy that (major) features don't appear to exist in all android distributions. Also less bloatware and I dearly miss the notes and reminder apps

It just works with anything since it’s standardised. 
I don’t want to troubleshoot stuff on the go.

I circumvent the downside of being “locked in” their ecosystem (same applies to Google tbf) by using Nextcloud for photo backups and calendar/phone contacts. 
That way it doesn’t feel like I need a Mac laptop to access all my stuff. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

The price 😄

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

7 minutes ago, Niqesse said:

iOS is standardized for any apple device. It occasionally drives me crazy that (major) features don't appear to exist in all android distributions. Also less bloatware and I dearly miss the notes and reminder apps

I appreciate that I can remove many of the default apps from my iPhone. I remember when that wasn't a thing, and it infuriated me because I didn't really use most of them.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I appreciate that I can remove many of the default apps from my iPhone. I remember when that wasn't a thing, and it infuriated me because I didn't really use most of them.

Oh that's nice. Android only allows to deactivate some of them which sounds kinda sus xD

3 minutes ago, Niqesse said:

Oh that's nice. Android only allows to deactivate some of them which sounds kinda sus xD

Yeah, when I had a One M8, I wanted to remove the defaults, and I could only deactivate them. That's extremely annoying.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It may cost a lot but it just works and I've noticed in some cases where the price can make sense.

7 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Yeah, when I had a One M8, I wanted to remove the defaults, and I could only deactivate them. That's extremely annoying.

HTC lets you do root and install custom ROMs. I currently am using an HTC ONE M8 until I use root access to make scoped storage history on my Pixel 7 Pro. I don't have dumb bloatware like the official YouTube app or Facebook or dumb carrier apps on my phone. LineageOS and OpenGAPPS makes bloatware obsolete.

Unfortunately, 2 GB of RAM clearly isn't enough and Android 7.1 is not going to be supported by developers soon, so I guess if I cannot fix my Pixel 7 Pro, I will stop using cell phones altogether.

Two left field benefits.

• Higher resale value. Apple is a very prestegious brand so on the used market their value falls way slower than even the next best thing being the Google phones and Samsung ones. Chinese ones fall off a cliff in terms of value.
  • Gonna sound weird but when it comes to dating it seems like you really are more succesfull with an iphone. Stigma against green bubbles and a generally more positive view of apple users by apple users.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

9 hours ago, Smithfield said:

HTC lets you do root and install custom ROMs. I currently am using an HTC ONE M8 until I use root access to make scoped storage history on my Pixel 7 Pro. I don't have dumb bloatware like the official YouTube app or Facebook or dumb carrier apps on my phone. LineageOS and OpenGAPPS makes bloatware obsolete.

Unfortunately, 2 GB of RAM clearly isn't enough and Android 7.1 is not going to be supported by developers soon, so I guess if I cannot fix my Pixel 7 Pro, I will stop using cell phones altogether.

I shouldn't have to do that to remove default apps. 

United States here. I use an iPhone for 

• iMessage
    • Most people I chat with, including all family members, have an iPhone. It would make things more difficult if I switched to Android
    • I use Discord/Google Chat for any friends on the Android side
  • FaceTime
    • Fantastic video quality at low bandwidth. Useful for my current long distance relationship, and again family members
    • I don't think I've ever video-chatted with friends, but I have Zoom ready if I do
  • Reliable high-tier camera
    • Use to own an HTC One M7 - the 4MP camera SUCKED and it developed a purple tint over time, along with scratches
    • Use to own a Samsung Galaxy S5 - the camera autofocus broke after a year, and also more lens scratches
    • The image quality is good enough. I'm not pixel peeping smart phone pictures, and I'm not gushing over ridiculous zoom or night shots.
  • Ecosystem 
    • AirPods and AirPods Pro are my favourite headphones for all situations
    • EarPods w/ mic if I need to make a phone call with reliable microphone quality
    • MacOS and iPadOS are pretty nice - especially with AirDropping files between each device, and iMessage being shared
  • It just works
    • I hate how slow my Android phones would feel after a year
    • iPhones are reliable recommendations for family members who don't need anything except a video-chatting device
    • Can easily use a device for 6+ years with stable performance
  • Side opinions
    • I will never understand why people care so much about the notch on the iPhone and MacBook Pro. I never notice them. I'm not watching content at top center of my screen. My opinion is probably irrelevant since I also personally don't see the added benefit of things like filming movies in tall IMAX aspect ratio - with the exception some Oppenheimer shots. I saw Infinity War and Endgame in both regular and (real) IMAX, and I couldn't tell you if any scenes felt different.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Do Not Track, a single tap of the screen has taken away hundreds of millions of dollars from facebook.

A software commitment to not allowing user tracking, presumably on all apps

6 or sometimes 7 years of software support.  Not jaw dropping or incredible, but better than most android brands, and historically more than all android brands.  Now Google offers 7 years of updates, so maybe apple will step up their support.

Battery management.  No power on until 15% charge if device runs out of juice.  Newly added charge limiter to 80% charge to prolong battery capacity long-term.

_

Downsides

Part serialization.  You cannot swap parts from other similar iphones because of software locks.

No SD cards.

No headphone port.

Forced camera notch, and only one somewhat updated device (XR) without a flickering OLED screen.  660 - 680 nits is NOT enough for outdoor screen visibility.  Blackberry 900 had over 900+ nits for a 3.5" display.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 12/4/2023 at 12:02 AM, Nocte said:

It just works with anything since it’s standardised. 
I don’t want to troubleshoot stuff on the go.

I circumvent the downside of being “locked in” their ecosystem (same applies to Google tbf) by using Nextcloud for photo backups and calendar/phone contacts. 
That way it doesn’t feel like I need a Mac laptop to access all my stuff. 

You can use iCloud on windows machines 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:59 AM, RabbidEwok said:

You can use iCloud on windows machines 

You can, but it doesn't feel like a good experience. Also Google which doesn't have a "preferred" OS doesn't feel like a good experience (e.g. Photos).

A good experience for me means also not being restricted in what I want to do with my data.

For example, they make taking stuff out of their platform a PITA on purpose to disincentivise switching to a competitor while maybe you simply want to backup your memories elsewhere.

Self-hosting provides a good alternative and is definitely cheaper (if you use the investment for other stuff too) and provides better privacy (if setup correctly).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

On 12/6/2023 at 9:38 AM, Nocte said:

You can, but it doesn't feel like a good experience. Also Google which doesn't have a "preferred" OS doesn't feel like a good experience (e.g. Photos).

A good experience for me means also not being restricted in what I want to do with my data.

For example, they make taking stuff out of their platform a PITA on purpose to disincentivise switching to a competitor while maybe you simply want to backup your memories elsewhere.

Self-hosting provides a good alternative and is definitely cheaper (if you use the investment for other stuff too) and provides better privacy (if setup correctly).

How is it not? You log into I cloud, click say photos for example and they’re all there. You can literally just import everything to the PC