Old cooler master 850w psu for 3080ti?

Hello everyone.. i bought 3080ti that will deliver to me in a week.. i am currently using 3070 on my old cooler master 850w psu.. and before that i was using 2080ti on the same psu.. never had any issues.. i was curious if that supply is good enough for 3080ti.. it's a bit old but i never had any issues with this psu.. i am attaching psu specs so you can check that also

Other specs

Ryzen 5 5600

B450m pro vdh max

16gb ddr4 3200 cl16

images (7).jpeg

Yeah it should run fine, i would replace it with 1000w or smth but thats bad advice, but, yk just incase.

You said it was old so thats why i said that, maybe get an upgrade who knows.

12 minutes ago, skayqz said:

Yeah it should run fine, i would replace it with 1000w or smth but thats bad advice, but, yk just incase.

You said it was old so thats why i said that, maybe get an upgrade who knows.

Well i will upgrade soon.. but i just bough a 3080ti so not in state to buy a good psu rn..

4 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

Well i will upgrade soon.. but i just bough a 3080ti so not in state to buy a good psu rn..

How old is the psu?

if its at least 6-7 years old, its like planting a bomb on your pc.

I mean i wouldn't trust it thats what i want to say.

If you're worried about overdraw in the meanwhile, just dial down the %TDP of the 3080ti to 85-90%. GA102 is known for huge power spikes where sometimes PSUs that meet its 750W minimum recommended can struggle. Chopping the TDP down 10-15% disproportionately lowers its power consumption compared to the loss in performance, which can be zero in some scenarios.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

That PSU was launched 17 (yes, seventeen) years ago. You have to replace it immediately. Don't use this worn out dinosaur with group regulated platform with your hardware.

16 hours ago, --SID-- said:

That PSU was launched 17 (yes, seventeen) years ago. You have to replace it immediately. Don't use this worn out dinosaur with group regulated platform with your hardware.

Ohhh god.. well I'll replace it immediately..

On 12/1/2023 at 10:04 AM, --SID-- said:

I'm not sure about this exact PSU, but "Reputable" manufacturers still sell power supplies that say "crossfire" on the box. Old doesn't always mean worthless.

35 minutes ago, FreddyWestside said:

I'm not sure about this exact PSU, but "Reputable" manufacturers still sell power supplies that say "crossfire" on the box. Old doesn't always mean worthless.

A 17 year old PSU is worthless. First because of the group regulated platform that makes the voltage regulation terrible in a system that draws 95% of the power from the 12v line. Second is the age of the caps. Old caps degrade in ripple filtering. I doubt the ripple would be within the ATX specs. Third it can't handle powerspikes because of the high transient response time due to the double forward design on the primary side. 

The point I was making is that the caps may not be old. These companies are still making the old designs and you can find a PSU on the shelf at Beat Buy with a 2020+ manufacture date that still says crossfire on the box because it was designed in 2010. They shouldn't do it, but they do, and assuming that a PSU that's been on the market since 2006 is 17 years old is just as silly as assuming the Hyper212 I bought in 2021 was sitting on a shelf since 2007.

We know it's an old fashioned unit isn't as precise as a newer design, but we don't know it's 16 years old and Luke got by with an ANCIENT power supply until he couldn't find the modular cables for the AMD challenge.