Wifi adapter faster than Realtek GBE family controller! why? Help

I recently noticed after doing multiple internet speed tests that my wifi adapter, which is an  Atheros AR9271 Wireless Network Adapter, is faster than my Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.  I am totally puzzled by the results. I have a Motorola Sb6580 Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 router. Can anyone explain to me why this is the case?

What exact Gigabit Ethernet Adapter do you have?

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Realtek GBE family controller, which is on-board.

Are all Ethernet cables faster than all wifi adapters?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Are all Ethernet cables faster than all wifi adapters?

Nope! If you have an AC wifi adapter an a 10/100 ethernet nic, then the wifi addapter will decimate the ethernet nic, but OP's case isn't like that

It has almost never has anything to do with the cable, it's usually the NIC/driver, but it could be the cable. IMO any NIC but an Intel NIC is generally well below par, and realtek is no exception.

To OP, what are the exact speeds your getting on each interface? 

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

I recently noticed after doing multiple internet speed tests that my wifi adapter, which is an  Atheros AR9271 Wireless Network Adapter, is faster than my Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.  I am totally puzzled by the results. I have a Motorola Sb6580 Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 router. Can anyone explain to me why this is the case?

Moved to troubleshooting :)

Don't forget that you are only as strong as your weakest link.

If you have an intermediary cable that is only rated at older gen speeds, that's what you will get.

Nope! If you have an AC wifi adapter an a 10/100 ethernet nic, then the wifi addapter will decimate the ethernet nic, but OP's case isn't like that

It has almost never has anything to do with the cable, it's usually the NIC/driver, but it could be the cable. IMO any NIC but an Intel NIC is generally well below par, and realtek is no exception.

Good point.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch