Migrating Server from Synology

gco211

Hey all,

I hope this is the right place to put this, but I appreciate any help you can give me.  

I currently have a Synology DS20+ with 4 drives that are all 16 tb or more.  I use this to run a Plex server for myself along with some other minor server uses.  Unfortunately, the ~48 tb of space is coming up on its limit, and it's prohibitively expensive to use the Synology expansion add-on.  As such, I need a new storage solution and I have a few questions if you'd be kind enough to help.  

1)  My thought is to use my current laptop (8gb memory, Intel 1240p CPU with Iris XE integrated graphics).  I know this will be more than enough to run the server generally, but does anyone know if it will be able to transcode 4K films? 

2)My second thought is I will use an external hard drive bay setup, with an eight bay USB-based connection for the storage.  Will I have any issues with it being run via USB? 

3) Finally, what software would you suggest I use for this?  The laptop already has Windows installed which is an OS I'm very familiar with, but I could be convinced to change it over to a server-oriented OS if that would make more sense.  

Any insights and advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Honestly this all sounds rather terrible. I would suggest getting a bigger Synology. That way you can easily import your Raid Array so you don't have to go through massive hoops trying to move the data. You stay in a known environment and if setup correctly you should be able to just extend the raid array or just build a second one. 

I'd look at the used market for some of them DS18XX or whatever they are called. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Would also recommend a larger Synology array if you're happy with the performance of the software.  What I would also suggest is that you look at getting a good deal on a used Synology unit off eBay.  I'm on my third Synology setup and they were all used and out of warranty.  Besides a dead CMOS battery making me think one of them was DOA I've only had software/configuration issues with them and Synology support has always been willing to help me out regardless of the unit being under warranty or not.  By upgrading to a unit with more bays you can easily swap over the existing drives and then add on to them later to expand the array as needed.  You can also then sell your old unit to recoup some of the costs.  Just look at what's available used online and wait for a a good deal.  My current unit took a couple months of checking a saved search on eBay before the right deal came along.  Be sure to look for units that work well with Plex as not all the CPUs they come with will perform equally well with it.

But I'm just talking out my ass.