Surround sound for TV that has two different locations...?

FeijoaBoa

Hi there,

I am a peasant who has only ever used the TV built-in speakers (TV = LG b6 oled, with terrible burn-in that I gave it). I would like to have nice audio; I have money, but probably it won't take much to impress me given that I have only ever used the TV speaker. I am pretty noob at audio though, so one of those "it plays tones and auto-detects room geometry" might be nice? But might be overkill.

The main issue is that the TV cabinet is on roller wheels, so I can move it and create a large VR space. For watching TV and gaming my wife actually prefers the TV in the "tucked away" VR-friendly position, but I prefer it in the "I can actually see it"-position. Diagram attached.

Is there such a thing as surround sound with two different profiles I can somehow switch between? Does anyone have any suggestions for this? My google-fu fails me. Otherwise, I'll just follow a basic guide and optimise it around "I can actually see it"-position (although any suggestions still welcome!).

TV Diagram.png

If you've only ever used peasant TV speakers, you're not at the level where you should be caring about quality of surround sound. Hell, I consider myself an audiophile with $1200 speakers and I don't care about surround sound. Just get a decent soundbar that will fit on the TV cabinet and be done with it. If you have space on the cabinet and on the sides of the screen, you could look into a bookshelf stereo configuration.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Hey @saintlouisbagels thanks for replying! That's my fallback plan, since from what I can tell it's still gonna be 1000x better than what I've got.

The sneaky reason I'm interested in surround sound specifically is because wifey and I are playing Baldur's Gate 3 on our PS5, and I keep finding strange audio issues that sound very much to me like issues going from surround sound down to stereo... I feel like maybe surround sound would make it work really nicely! That's pretty speculative though 😅

I would think the strange audio issues are coming from the complexity of whether or not the audio should focus on either your character or your wife’s?

BG3 is still a fairly buggy game and I would not be surprised of audio issues.

I’m a huge fan of the Sonos Beam gen2 if you have the money for it. From reading about the Sonos Ray, it seems very overpriced for very limited connectivity and performance. RTINGs has a sub-$200 soundbar guide.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

If you're too curious with surround experience maybe you could get soundbar with wireless surround speakers included. Put soundbar on TV cabinet, surround-left speaker behind your couch at East, and surround-right speaker behind couch at North. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820