Trying to connect old amplifier and dvd to TV

m1ke.gr

Hey guys, I dug up some old unused AV equipment that my parents had and I was trying to connected to my TV to watch some old DVDs. The DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS905V and the amplifier for the 5.1 surround sound is a Sony STR-DB790. Anyone have an idea what cables I will need and what’s the right order of connection? 

Thanks!

( I have attached some pictures of the equipment and the ports they have. First 2 photos is the amp and then the DVD player)

Edit: The TV has both the red,white,yellow wires and the other large connector with a lot of pins( sorry don’t know the name 😂)

IMG_1146.thumb.jpeg.affcf33b716c7ad7491c0e1fd7c5a1ba.jpegIMG_1143.thumb.jpeg.e4bec92aabcceebff8c598ab9eb18ac2.jpeg

IMG_1145.thumb.jpeg.8fc23abc78d7b2f932afe58d4a25b130.jpegIMG_1144.thumb.jpeg.35beac90408148917ebc9d43277ffee1.jpeg

Edited by m1ke.gr

12 minutes ago, m1ke.gr said:

Hey guys, I dug up some old unused AV equipment that my parents had and I was trying to connected to my TV to watch some old DVDs. The DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS905V and the amplifier for the 5.1 surround sound is a Sony STR-DB790. Anyone have an idea what cables I will need and what’s the right order of connection? 

Thanks!

( I have attached some pictures of the equipment and the ports they have. First 2 photos is the amp and then the DVD player)

Edit: The TV has both the red,white,yellow wires and the other large connector with a lot of pins( sorry don’t know the name 😂)

There are two ways to hook up the audio and two ways to hook up the tv.

First - hook video from DVD to Amp. Use either rca or s-video. S-video will give you a better image. Highly recommend that.

OR

Use the scart cable from the dvd to the tv

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the audio, use only one of either rca (yellow in my picture) or toslink (purple) - These go from amp to DVD player.

If you used s-video - then do this....For video side - use either rca (green) or s-video (blue) to go from the amp to the TV.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 080146.jpg

12 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

There are two ways to hook up the audio and two ways to hook up the tv.

First - hook video from DVD to Amp. Use either rca or s-video. S-video will give you a better image. Highly recommend that.

OR

Use the scart cable from the dvd to the tv

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the audio, use only one of either rca (yellow in my picture) or toslink (purple) - These go from amp to DVD player.

If you used s-video - then do this....For video side - use either rca (green) or s-video (blue) to go from the amp to the TV.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 080146.jpg

Wait, i can’t connect them like you show in the picture cause my TV doesn’t a port for the blue cable to go. Or the blue cable you show has a different connector on the other side?

Check your TV for a digital audio output. If it has one, connect that to the receiver's TV In port. Then you'll get surround sound to the receiver no matter what input you're watching on the TV. (It should even work for over-the-air TV and a Blu-Ray player connected via HDMI.)

If your TV only has a digital coaxial output, coaxial to optical SPDIF adapters are inexpensive. I would definitely stay in the digital domain whenever possible.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, m1ke.gr said:

Wait, i can’t connect them like you show in the picture cause my TV doesn’t a port for the blue cable to go. Or the blue cable you show has a different connector on the other side?

You can use the green line from the amp but it will not have as good quality. OR you could use the scart from the dvd player. (I am from Canada where scart was not used so don't take this as gospel) You should be able to use scart from the dvd player for video while passing the audio from the dvd player to the amp.

7 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

You can use the green line from the amp but it will not have as good quality. OR you could use the scart from the dvd player. (I am from Canada where scart was not used so don't take this as gospel) You should be able to use scart from the dvd player for video while passing the audio from the dvd player to the amp.

The TV only has this portsIMG_1139.thumb.jpeg.057349dd0a3377cac8d0768723c401fc.jpeg

Sorry for the trouble but I don’t want to buy the wrong cables. I don’t really care for top  image, unless it’s a Very noticeable difference. Thanks!