Good alternative to MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI? M.2 shield problem.

espr3ss0

Had my eyes on the z790 Carbon WiFi for a while now but have a problem when it comes to the M.2 shields. Just got this and it's not going to fit unless I leave a shield off but it's not so simple. I'm wondering which of the z790 range is worth getting vs z690, I'm getting the 12900k and thought I should probably go for DDR5. Also, the PC is not for gaming as I'm mainly using Unreal Engine 5 and Blender.

Ok so what are we trying to do. 
You want the SSD heatshield to be visible for aesthetics Im assuming, that is what the "shield" on the mobo is for, to do the job of heatsink while being aesthetically in line with the rest of the mobo. 

So it is an either-or, either use the heatsink that comes with the mobo, OR the heatsink that comes with the SSD. 

Im just trying to clear up what issue it is you specifically have, there is no functional issue here. So I'm guessing you are looking for a simpler mobo aesthetically wise so you can use the lightsabre heatsink and not look out of place. 

Yes, aesthetics. The trouble is there are 3 M.2 slots and I have 2 SSDs, so I guess I would have to leave the shield that comes with the MB off.

32 minutes ago, espr3ss0 said:

Yes, aesthetics. The trouble is there are 3 M.2 slots and I have 2 SSDs, so I guess I would have to leave the shield that comes with the MB off.

can always dremel or mill a hole in the MB shield as well