Questions on my new build? $10 Amazon Gift Card for most helpful answer!

Go to solution Solved by Failure 101,
1 hour ago, BodaciousYT said:

Budget (including currency): $2,800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CS:GO, Valorant, MW2, Warzone 2, GTA6 (if it ever releases), Streaming Videos, Potentially hosting a NAS

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Link to Build ---> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/76YPKX

So I had planned and got the parts for this build, but before I start building tomorrow I wanted to get some feedback on somethings related to the build and towards software.

Build Specific Questions:

- Do you see anything devastatingly wrong with this build, such as a major compatibility issue that would make this PC not work or be incredibly bottle necked/

- Is there any parts that I should swap out or are redundant? I am not planning on switching out the CPU, GPU, MOBO combo because I feel that it is personally the best configuration for me, I also won't be changing the 970 evo, 4tb HDD, PSU, Keyboard, or Mouse because I already had them from an older build.

- Will there be an issue with the heat sink on the ssd? I hadn't thought about it when I had purchased it, but I just realized that there may be an issue with the m.2 shielding on the mobo. Will it fit under the shield, and if it doesn't can I remove the heat sink without risking damage to the drive as the alternative to just returning it, or is there an unshielded m.2 slot on this board that has the same performance as the shielded one?

- I have concerns about the fans power and RGB. I went the NZXT H6 Flow RGB case, the NZXT Kraken 360 RGB, and an NZXT F120 Core RGB. I normally don't do a bunch of RGB stuff and my last PC only had the case fans and one CPU air cooler so I was wondering if I would be able to power these 7 fans (3 case Intake) (3 AIO Exhaust) (1 Rear Case Exhaust) with 2 NZXT RGB & Fan controllers in this build?

Software Questions:

- I want to have my software media on a usb stick to make it quicker to install before i build it. Right now what I'm planning to pre-install are my motherboard and graphics drivers along with NZXT CAM to control the RGB's. Is there any other system related software I should add like gigabyte control center (though I don't know if that would do anything in this situation) or AMD Adrenaline (my job involves doing repairs and my coworkers had differing opinions on installing this)?

- Is there any other software that I should download or BIOS/Windows settings to enable to optimize the build like AMD Crossfire?

- Additional Software that I plan to install on the new build Riot Games/Battle.net/Steam/CrystalDisk/Hard Drive Sentinel/Nord VPN/MEGA/Tor/Firefox/NZXT CAM. I am looking for any software that allows me to benchmark, live monitor, and check temps of all my hardware that's low on bloatware if anybody has any recommendations. Also a low intensity Anti-Virus Software that again is low on bloatware.

I know that was a lot, but if you are able to leave a response, I'll choose the most helpful one and give away a $10 Amazon gift card for your troubles! Even if you don't win any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

What I would Change:

Looks like your build could need some rebalancing.

Cooler:
What i would do I drop that aio and replace it with a LT720, it performs the same or better and is half the pric. (there are other options but I like the lt720 the best LMK if you want the other options listed) that frees out about a 120 dollars.
Ram:
Your GSkill Kit of ram doesn't have expo support and others are the same price so might as well swap it.
Motherboard:
X670 is rarely needed at all unless you have a shit load of things plugged in, So I replaced with a B650 from Gigabyte.
SSD:
That 980pro will not effect your gaming loadtimes at all from a gen 3 drive let alone a cheaper gen 4 so I put a Z440 from Teamgroup instead.
Case:
That case could be changed but that's personal preference. I would change that Fan to a P12 ARGB instead.
GPU:
With the extra budget I went ahead and up a 4070ti in there instead as it's faster then the 7800xt and the 7900xt doesn't have any white options.
Monitor:
What I would personally do would be to spend to the extra to try to get a UW display even if it's VA. But I left the M27Q-P in there anyways.
RGB Support:
Just use OpenRGB/SignalRGB.

Your Questions:
From top to bottom:
1. There's nothing THAT wrong about your build just stuff that can be optimized.
2. Answered Above
3. Not at all, you can just remove it or remove the mobo heatsink
4. Nothing Wrong there
5. Answered under RGB Support
6. No
7. NZXT CAM is not needed, and you can just use defender.

My Questions:
1. Is your list meant to have all your stuff that you already have?
2. How much do you care for Looks and your theme.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($358.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720 WH 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($97.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP Cardea Zero Z440 Graphene 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($87.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GAMING X SLIM GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($744.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H6 Flow RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($380.00 @ Amazon) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TXE75E 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST A-RGB 0dB 48.8 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($17.35 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q-P 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Elite RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($200.00 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Razer Basilisk V3 Wired Optical Mouse  ($39.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $2762.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-25 02:23 EST-0500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CS:GO, Valorant, MW2, Warzone 2, GTA6 (if it ever releases), Streaming Videos, Potentially hosting a NAS

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So I had planned and got the parts for this build, but before I start building tomorrow I wanted to get some feedback on somethings related to the build and towards software.

- Do you see anything devastatingly wrong with this build, such as a major compatibility issue that would make this PC not work or be incredibly bottle necked/

- Is there any parts that I should swap out or are redundant? I am not planning on switching out the CPU, GPU, MOBO combo because I feel that it is personally the best configuration for me, I also won't be changing the 970 evo, 4tb HDD, PSU, Keyboard, or Mouse because I already had them from an older build.

- Will there be an issue with the heat sink on the ssd? I hadn't thought about it when I had purchased it, but I just realized that there may be an issue with the m.2 shielding on the mobo. Will it fit under the shield, and if it doesn't can I remove the heat sink without risking damage to the drive as the alternative to just returning it, or is there an unshielded m.2 slot on this board that has the same performance as the shielded one?

- I have concerns about the fans power and RGB. I went the NZXT H6 Flow RGB case, the NZXT Kraken 360 RGB, and an NZXT F120 Core RGB. I normally don't do a bunch of RGB stuff and my last PC only had the case fans and one CPU air cooler so I was wondering if I would be able to power these 7 fans (3 case Intake) (3 AIO Exhaust) (1 Rear Case Exhaust) with 2 NZXT RGB & Fan controllers in this build?

Software Questions:

- I want to have my software media on a usb stick to make it quicker to install before i build it. Right now what I'm planning to pre-install are my motherboard and graphics drivers along with NZXT CAM to control the RGB's. Is there any other system related software I should add like gigabyte control center (though I don't know if that would do anything in this situation) or AMD Adrenaline (my job involves doing repairs and my coworkers had differing opinions on installing this)?

- Is there any other software that I should download or BIOS/Windows settings to enable to optimize the build like AMD Crossfire?

- Additional Software that I plan to install on the new build Riot Games/Battle.net/Steam/CrystalDisk/Hard Drive Sentinel/Nord VPN/MEGA/Tor/Firefox/NZXT CAM. I am looking for any software that allows me to benchmark, live monitor, and check temps of all my hardware that's low on bloatware if anybody has any recommendations. Also a low intensity Anti-Virus Software that again is low on bloatware.

I know that was a lot, but if you are able to leave a response, I'll choose the most helpful one and give away a $10 Amazon gift card for your troubles! Even if you don't win any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

WiFi card on a board with built in WiFi?

You’ll need to take the heatsink off of the 980 pro to use it on that board, or just get the 980 pro that doesn’t have a heatsink.
Two controllers will be fine, all those NZXT parts will come with alternatives and their own controllers anyway in case the hubs don’t work out as planned cable management wise.

I assure you there is no time savings to preload a windows install with your drivers and software, that’s something oems do because saving 3 minutes per pc is economically important to them. Windows will install all the core drivers by itself, and while it’s doing that you can install nzxt cam and such.

Adrenaline is just a gpu management tool for amd cards like the nvidia GeForce experience or intel arc control, it’s not the driver, it’s not really needed but it’s up to you if you find its features useful.

Crossfire isn’t software you install, it’s the tool that lets amd multi gpu work, except that’s not relevant with anything newer than an rx 5700 xt.

All you need for hardware monitoring and testing is cpu-z/gpu-z and hwinfo.

You are way overthinking the software side of this, windows these days automates all of that as far as the core stuff your system needs to function as it should. This isn’t like the windows xp days where you add a gpu and struggle in safe mode at 800x600 for 3 hours.

Also this isn’t Reddit, you don’t need to bribe people with $10 to get responses.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

WiFi card on a board with built in WiFi?

You’ll need to take the heatsink off of the 980 pro to use it on that board, or just get the 980 pro that doesn’t have a heatsink.
Two controllers will be fine, all those NZXT parts will come with alternatives and their own controllers anyway in case the hubs don’t work out as planned cable management wise.

I assure you there is no time savings to preload a windows install with your drivers and software, that’s something oems do because saving 3 minutes per pc is economically important to them. Windows will install all the core drivers by itself, and while it’s doing that you can install nzxt cam and such.

Crossfire isn’t software you install, it’s the tool that lets amd multi gpu work, except that’s not relevant with anything newer than an rx 5700 xt.

All you need for hardware monitoring and testing is cpu-z/gpu-z and hwinfo.

You are way overthinking the software side of this, windows these days automates all of that as far as the core stuff your system needs to function as it should. This isn’t like the windows xp days where you add a gpu and struggle in safe mode at 800x600 for 3 hours.

Also this isn’t Reddit, you don’t need to bribe people with $10 to get responses.

Thanks for the response, I said pre-install but I really just wanted to have a list of stuff ready so I get it all downloaded in one go, I'll probably just remove the heatsink, Wifi Card because it has Bluetooth (just gonna ignore the fact I didn't think about onboard wifi). Thanks for the info about crossfire, I don't really build AMD so I had just heard the term but didn't really understand what it meant. The drivers thing was mainly to make sure that they were up to date. Also I needed useful information which is why I posted here instead off Reddit and I got the gift card from a customer for thanksgiving and I make commissions so I just figured why not spread the love during the holidays.

Don't bother to install the WiFi card, the motherboard already supports WiFi AX and Bluetooth.

Use Windows Defender, it does a decent job.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Software Questions:

Am I getting bribed here?

GPU is quite bad for a build that costs that much. 4080/7900xtx is what you should have as those are about 45% faster than 7800xt. Ray-traced games and the gap can be even more for 4080's advantage.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($358.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE WHITE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Lexar NM790 w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1079.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.00 @ Newegg Sellers)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q-P 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor  ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2213.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-25 02:15 EST-0500

Software Questions:

What I would Change:

Looks like your build could need some rebalancing.

Cooler:
What i would do I drop that aio and replace it with a LT720, it performs the same or better and is half the pric. (there are other options but I like the lt720 the best LMK if you want the other options listed) that frees out about a 120 dollars.
Ram:
Your GSkill Kit of ram doesn't have expo support and others are the same price so might as well swap it.
Motherboard:
X670 is rarely needed at all unless you have a shit load of things plugged in, So I replaced with a B650 from Gigabyte.
SSD:
That 980pro will not effect your gaming loadtimes at all from a gen 3 drive let alone a cheaper gen 4 so I put a Z440 from Teamgroup instead.
Case:
That case could be changed but that's personal preference. I would change that Fan to a P12 ARGB instead.
GPU:
With the extra budget I went ahead and up a 4070ti in there instead as it's faster then the 7800xt and the 7900xt doesn't have any white options.
Monitor:
What I would personally do would be to spend to the extra to try to get a UW display even if it's VA. But I left the M27Q-P in there anyways.
RGB Support:
Just use OpenRGB/SignalRGB.

Your Questions:
From top to bottom:
1. There's nothing THAT wrong about your build just stuff that can be optimized.
2. Answered Above
3. Not at all, you can just remove it or remove the mobo heatsink
4. Nothing Wrong there
5. Answered under RGB Support
6. No
7. NZXT CAM is not needed, and you can just use defender.

My Questions:
1. Is your list meant to have all your stuff that you already have?
2. How much do you care for Looks and your theme.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($358.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720 WH 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($97.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP Cardea Zero Z440 Graphene 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($87.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GAMING X SLIM GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($744.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H6 Flow RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($380.00 @ Amazon) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TXE75E 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST A-RGB 0dB 48.8 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($17.35 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q-P 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Elite RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($200.00 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Razer Basilisk V3 Wired Optical Mouse  ($39.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $2762.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-25 02:23 EST-0500