What is the worthy upgrade from 9700k and would feel snappy ???

Lion925
Go to solution Solved by Coachdude,

Honestly, if you're wanting to stick with DDR4 and aren't planning on moving higher than a 6700XT, I'd just stick with the 9700K for now. Wait for the next releases from both AMD and Intel and see what your options are then. The 9700K is a bit dated sure, but it's still a decent performer if your main use is just gaming. Personally I probably wouldn't have gone with this particular i7 in the first place due to the lack of hyperthreading, but it does have 8 cores and can usually clock up to 5GHz+ or so, and with a modern mid-range card like the 6700XT, you should have a perfectly respectable experience in the vast majority of titles out there.

I'd say hold off until you decide to make the leap to a DDR5 powered platform. Going from LGA 1151 to AM4 just doesn't make sense to me. It would be faster sure, but not an insane difference in my opinion. The X3D would be significantly faster in some titles yes, but you'd be going from one dead platform to another dead platform, and you'd probably be in the same boat in a few years down the line that you're in now. So again, unless you're willing to move to AM5 or DDR5 13th gen/14th gen, an upgrade for strictly gaming performance just isn't warranted given the money you'd spend to do so in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

What is the worthy upgrade from 9700k and would feel snappy ??? I wonder what would be the best upgrade from this CPU, I can go AMD or Intel. Also, would prefer to stay with ddr4.

t he 5800X3D seems like a good idea, but it all depends on your budget, if it's lower than you can go for the 12400f, or if it's higier you can get any intel cpu, they all still support ddr4

If you just want to improve system snappiness, a reinstall of Windows could really help. I'm assuming you've had that install for 4+ years at this point, and Windows can build up a lot of kludge in that time.

17 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If you just want to improve system snappiness, a reinstall of Windows could really help. I'm assuming you've had that install for 4+ years at this point, and Windows can build up a lot of kludge in that time.

I have reinstalled it 1–2 years ago. But other than reinstalling windows, are there any suggestions?

58 minutes ago, MiszS said:

t he 5800X3D seems like a good idea, but it all depends on your budget, if it's lower than you can go for the 12400f, or if it's higier you can get any intel cpu, they all still support ddr4

Yeah, good CPU, but I will not have any unreadability. Also, if I want to stay with DDR4, I will have not many choices. Not sure about 12400f, seem like a downgrade

7 minutes ago, Lion925 said:

I have reinstalled it 1–2 years ago. But other than reinstalling windows, are there any suggestions?

If you want to stick with DDR4 for some reason, then AM4 and LGA1700 are your two options. The i7 9700K is still a decent chip for gaming, but a Ryzen 7 5800X3D or an i5 13600K would be a decent upgrade if your GPU is fast enough.

Are you just gaming or are there other intensive things that you do with your computer?

Just now, YoungBlade said:

If you want to stick with DDR4 for some reason, then AM4 and LGA1700 are your two options. The i7 9700K is still a decent chip for gaming, but a Ryzen 7 5800X3D or an i5 13600K would be a decent upgrade if your GPU is fast enough.

Are you just gaming or are there other intensive things that you do with your computer?

Mostly gaming. I have RX 6700xt and not planning on upgrading it at the moment. Also, isn't DDR5 very expensive at the moment?

17 minutes ago, Lion925 said:

Mostly gaming. I have RX 6700xt and not planning on upgrading it at the moment. Also, isn't DDR5 very expensive at the moment?

The pricing of DDR5 has dropped dramatically. DDR4 is still cheaper, but DDR5 is now priced about the same as DDR4 was before DDR5 came out.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

The pricing of DDR5 has dropped dramatically. DDR4 is still cheaper, but DDR5 is now priced about the same as DDR4 was before DDR5 came out.

OK I see. Is there a big difference between Ryzen 7 5800X3D and Ryzen 7 5800X?

Just now, Lion925 said:

OK I see. Is there a big difference between Ryzen 7 5800X3D and Ryzen 7 5800X?

In productivity workloads, they're very similar - the 5800X is actually a bit faster. In gaming, the X3D part is on average about 20% faster when CPU limited.

Honestly, if you're wanting to stick with DDR4 and aren't planning on moving higher than a 6700XT, I'd just stick with the 9700K for now. Wait for the next releases from both AMD and Intel and see what your options are then. The 9700K is a bit dated sure, but it's still a decent performer if your main use is just gaming. Personally I probably wouldn't have gone with this particular i7 in the first place due to the lack of hyperthreading, but it does have 8 cores and can usually clock up to 5GHz+ or so, and with a modern mid-range card like the 6700XT, you should have a perfectly respectable experience in the vast majority of titles out there.

I'd say hold off until you decide to make the leap to a DDR5 powered platform. Going from LGA 1151 to AM4 just doesn't make sense to me. It would be faster sure, but not an insane difference in my opinion. The X3D would be significantly faster in some titles yes, but you'd be going from one dead platform to another dead platform, and you'd probably be in the same boat in a few years down the line that you're in now. So again, unless you're willing to move to AM5 or DDR5 13th gen/14th gen, an upgrade for strictly gaming performance just isn't warranted given the money you'd spend to do so in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

7 hours ago, Coachdude said:

Just my two cents.

Thank you for the great and detailed explanation ). I will probably hold off, try to reinstall windows, overclock what I can and in the future will upgrade to DDR5 platforms