DIsplay Upgrade Suggestions

ChaoticChaosx

I've done some research however maybe someone has experience with some first hand. issues, customer support, quality of life.

I'm not sure on these panels from Dell. However been looking to go OLED or IPS. I've been on VA since 2016 with AOC and Gigabyte G34QWC currently. Since Upgraded build might as well go new display as well.

I'm looking at these 5 currently. Ultrawide Preferred. HDR would be nice but not absolutely necessary. Budget around $800 USD max with black friday deals.

Dell Alienware AW3821DW

Dell Alienware A3421DWF OLED & AW3423DW

LG Ultragear 34GP83A-B

MSI MEG 342C

If any better or near let me know. I appreciate any help on the decision.

First watercooled System

Build Name: Frost

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

Top Rad & Fans:  Corsair 54mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB Fans

Side Rad & Fans: Corsair 30mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans

Motherboard: Asrock X670E Steel Legend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D w/ Corsair XC7 RGB Pro w/ Kyrosheet

Memory/RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 2x16GB 32GB 6000Mhz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF w/ EK-Quantum Vector2 Nickel/Plexi & Backplate

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD5 RGB

Coolant: EK Mystic Fog

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe

WZ/2042 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Game SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Performance/Editing HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Storage HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition/Razer Mamba

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM700 RGB

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast

Headset: Razer Blackshark v2 Pro

Eyewear/Glasses: Gunnar Optiks Razer FPS

Camera: Razer Kiyo Pro

2 minutes ago, ChaoticChaosx said:

I've done some research however maybe someone has experience with some first hand. issues, customer support, quality of life.

I'm not sure on these panels from Dell. However been looking to go OLED or IPS. I've been on VA since 2016 with AOC and Gigabyte G32QWC currently. Since Upgraded build might as well go new display as well.

I'm looking at these 5 currently. Ultrawide Preferred. HDR would be nice but not absolutely necessary. Budget around $800 USD max with black friday deals.

Dell Alienware AW3821DW

Dell Alienware A3421DWF OLED & AW3423DW

LG Ultragear 34GP83A-B

MSI MEG 342C

If any better or near let me know. I appreciate any help on the decision.

I wouldn't worry about HDR. Proper HDR is very expensive and 'regular' HDR for gaming displays is only 'HDR' in name. Each time I've tried using it on a few displays over the past couple years, its never worked right. Windows is getting better about it, but its overall not worth concerning about yet in my opinion.

Regarding your actual question, if you're willing to fork the price, OLED is the way to go. It'll likely be my next upgrade, my only consideration right now is whether I want to go back to ultrawide or not (spent ~6 years on 34" ultrawide). My buddy upgraded his 34" UW to the 45" OLED UW from LG and says it was entirely worth it.

*for reference only*

LG UltraGear 45” OLED Curved WQHD 240Hz 0.03ms FreeSync and NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor with HDR10 Black 45GR95QE-B.AUS - Best Buy

Dell Alienware A3421DWF OLED winning my pick, heard good things about it.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

16 minutes ago, Agall said:

I wouldn't worry about HDR. Proper HDR is very expensive and 'regular' HDR for gaming displays is only 'HDR' in name. Each time I've tried using it on a few displays over the past couple years, its never worked right. Windows is getting better about it, but its overall not worth concerning about yet in my opinion.

Regarding your actual question, if you're willing to fork the price, OLED is the way to go. It'll likely be my next upgrade, my only consideration right now is whether I want to go back to ultrawide or not (spent ~6 years on 34" ultrawide). My buddy upgraded his 34" UW to the 45" OLED UW from LG and says it was entirely worth it.

*for reference only*

LG UltraGear 45” OLED Curved WQHD 240Hz 0.03ms FreeSync and NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor with HDR10 Black 45GR95QE-B.AUS - Best Buy

Dell Alienware A3421DWF OLED winning my pick, heard good things about it.

True. My friend has almost returned 4 monitors trying to find the "true" HDR she wants. Insane. Hah.

Yeah 45" wouldn't even fit on my desk and far to big for me. 40" max...if that.

I mean for "only" $700 for the 3421dwf and OLED it's hard to pass on. Just I read DELL. Hah. Appreciate the information on the HDR though. Thought as much and like I said my friend being insane about it.

First watercooled System

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Just now, ChaoticChaosx said:

True. My friend has almost returned 4 monitors trying to find the "true" HDR she wants. Insane. Hah.

I mean for "only" $700 for the 3421dwf and OLED it's hard to pass on. Just I read DELL. Hah. Appreciate the information on the HDR though. Thought as much and like I said my friend being insane about it.

That display is probably your best bet, I would just ensure you're taking the necessary steps to minimize burn in and/or wear of the display. Ensuring the refreshing technology is working, turning it off when you're not using it, etc. 

I'm personally waiting for the next gen OLED to justify upgrading my display, since even for a QLED VA, my Samsung Neo G8 is impressive. I'll find out soon enough how much better OLED HDR is when I get my Steam Deck OLED (which I have shipping for!) 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I agree. Thank you.

Oh yeah I'll be checking everything for sure. Hate to have any issues before I set my desk up for it. I shut down my system every night and display goes off with it. Unless you mean physically turn it off cause I used to do that anyways. Oh yeah? I was thinking the G8 originally than I seen the alienware and LG's and reviews are 5 across the board before the burn reports started for OLED displays.

First watercooled System

17 hours ago, ChaoticChaosx said:

That information about HDR in gaming monitors being a gimmick is not true anymore. Especially in your budget you can get some very capable HDR monitors. The days of needing to spend upwards of $1000 to get "acceptable" HDR are over.

I spent 900€ for my 42" C2 OLED, which i've been using as my main monitor for over a year now. It's as amazing today as it's been a year back. If you can still find the discontinued C2 models, they're amazing value for such a big and immersive screen. The newer 42" C3 can also be bought under $1000 most of the time.

The LG 27GR95QE-B is a very good 27" 1440p 240Hz OLED monitor. OLED is basically a guarantee for good HDR. You can find these between $700-800.

And close to or slightly over $800 you should also be able to get the Samsung OLED G8 or the Dell Alienware AW3423DWF, which are both good ultrawide OLED options.

Upgrading to an HDR capable OLED monitor is probably the biggest upgrade you can make in most people's setup. Once you experience OLED, you won't ever buy anything else again.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.