What psu’s are compatible with a stock optiplex 9020 MT?

I have a stock optiplex 9020 mt with i5 4690, stock mobo, 8 gb of ram, and 1.5tb hdd storage. I want to know what kind of psu I can get that’s compatible and are reliable. I have the 8 pin to 24 pin adapter already.

41 minutes ago, Max37773 said:

I have a stock optiplex 9020 mt with i5 4690, stock mobo, 8 gb of ram, and 1.5tb hdd storage. I want to know what kind of psu I can get that’s compatible and are reliable. I have the 8 pin to 24 pin adapter already.

ignore my comment

As far as I can tell, any ATX power supply will work. looking at this list, you can see some very reliable options, with letter ranks closer to A being better. If you are looking for a relatively low-wattage PSU, I recommend be quiet! pure power 11. (Amazon.com: be quiet! BN292 Quiet! Pure Power 11 400W Cases & Hardware PSUs : Electronics) It isn't modular, but it is very reliable and will last an extremely long time (and be quiet!). If you are interested in a higher-wattage PSU, I recommend pretty much A-B PSUs found in the earlier list.

1 hour ago, EvantheGrump said:

As far as I can tell, any ATX power supply will work. looking at this list, you can see some very reliable options, with letter ranks closer to A being better. If you are looking for a relatively low-wattage PSU, I recommend be quiet! pure power 11. (Amazon.com: be quiet! BN292 Quiet! Pure Power 11 400W Cases & Hardware PSUs : Electronics) It isn't modular, but it is very reliable and will last an extremely long time (and be quiet!). If you are interested in a higher-wattage PSU, I recommend pretty much A-B PSUs found in the earlier list.

Is this a decent psu? https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Certified-Continuous-cooling-PS-SPD-0500NPCWUS-W/dp/B014W3EM2W/ref=asc_df_B014W3EM2W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309707619534&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3190240155308056809&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1020610&hvtargid=pla-453306974069&psc=1&mcid=bc0265cb53c63dcaa0879bf5abaf94f8&gclid=CjwKCAiA9dGqBhAqEiwAmRpTCxE76w-6gA_HjHxKOl1ixVMGub9Xc9hkhHde_ocYalxtBJeN3APReRoCrTEQAvD_BwE

Would there be any concern for compatibility? I talked with pc technician and he said that it’s better to get a dell 365w psu than get aftermarket psu just because of the modifications needed to actually use it. Im scared of it frying my motherboard

Also what would be a good 500w-600w psu 

40 minutes ago, Max37773 said:

80+ White is the worst 80+ ranking, but that does not necessarily mean it is a bad power supply. The reviews seem to be positive, so I don't think it's a bad choice.

39 minutes ago, Max37773 said:

Would there be any concern for compatibility? I talked with pc technician and he said that it’s better to get a dell 365w psu than get aftermarket psu just because of the modifications needed to actually use it. Im scared of it frying my motherboard

If the picture below is what your PC looks like, you'll be fine. This PC was made back when Dell was using standard ATX PSUs. You won't fry the motherboard as long as you have the right adapter, and even then almost all PSUs have failsafes (like a breaker on your house electricity) that prevent too much power from flowing into the computer.

Dell OptiPlex 9020 MT Desktop | i7-4790 3.6GHz | 8GB | 500GB | Windows –  Dynamic Computer Surplus

No modifications to the system will be necessary. Here is a video you can watch to see the process of installing the PSU:

35 minutes ago, Max37773 said:

Also what would be a good 500w-600w psu 

This is a very reasonably priced 700w PSU from a very good brand: (they also have a 600w version but it has a worse price/watt ratio)

Amazon.com: EVGA 700 GD, 80+ GOLD 700W, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-GD-0700-V1 : Electronics

80+ White is the worst 80+ ranking, but that does not necessarily mean it is a bad power supply. The reviews seem to be positive, so I don't think it's a bad choice.

If the picture below is what your PC looks like, you'll be fine. This PC was made back when Dell was using standard ATX PSUs. You won't fry the motherboard as long as you have the right adapter, and even then almost all PSUs have failsafes (like a breaker on your house electricity) that prevent too much power from flowing into the computer.

Dell OptiPlex 9020 MT Desktop | i7-4790 3.6GHz | 8GB | 500GB | Windows –  Dynamic Computer Surplus

No modifications to the system will be necessary. Here is a video you can watch to see the process of installing the PSU:

This is a very reasonably priced 700w PSU from a very good brand: (they also have a 600w version but it has a worse price/watt ratio)

Amazon.com: EVGA 700 GD, 80+ GOLD 700W, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-GD-0700-V1 : Electronics

That’s exactly how my pc looks. Thanks for all the advice and info.

One more thing, I’m on a budget and I was seeing if this is a decent one https://www.ebay.com/itm/335034305315?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=F-AmiLLESea&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=krbwmizlth6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1 hour ago, Max37773 said:

It's fine but $35 is a lot for a used entry level PSU.

4 hours ago, Max37773 said:

No, it's bad.

2 hours ago, Max37773 said:

That’s exactly how my pc looks. Thanks for all the advice and info.

That's a motherboard for 12vO PSUs. You need a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter to use a normal ATX PSU with this motherboard.

5 hours ago, EvantheGrump said:

I settled on the Corsair tx750 or the Corsair rm750, lmk which is better. The rm750 is fully modular while the tx750 is not. Both of them are around 45 dollars on eBay 

3 hours ago, Max37773 said:

I settled on the Corsair tx750 or the Corsair rm750, lmk which is better. The rm750 is fully modular while the tx750 is not. Both of them are around 45 dollars on eBay 

Are all the modular cables included?

You still need a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter.

5 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Are all the modular cables included?

You still need a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter.

Yes the cables are included and I’m planning on buying one pretty soon here. Do you know any good adapters that won’t go bad on me?

That PSU is not compatible with your computer.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

That PSU is not compatible with your computer.

With a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter it should be

Threads merged. Don't keep posting new threads for the same thing.

No spamming or non-constructive posts, including:

• Posting the same topic multiple times

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

It's cheap for a reason. This PSU is missing cables. There's only one PCI-e and one CPU cable.

So the first one is better then?

5 hours ago, Max37773 said:

So the first one is better then?

Not really. It's 4 years older and more expensive. It's cheaper to buy some modular Corsair Type 4 cables if you need it.

9 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Not really. It's 4 years older and more expensive. It's cheaper to buy some modular Corsair Type 4 cables if you need it.

Ok thanks for the help