cpu runs at a very low clock speed bruh

xd nqrwayy 9000

so my cpu (pentium silver n5030) always runs at 0.6-1 ghz even when doing stuff

i can barely do anything because its so slow and apparently its always at 4 watts and power throttling

its not overheating or anything

My thoughts: 

First of all, of course, it's slow, it's a Pentium. That CPU is pretty much the speed of an intel i3 from 2013. It's 2023, not 2013. 

But anyways...

And the clock speed of 1 GHz is normal for that CPU. That's its base frequency. 

So it seems normal to me... that's just a, really, really bad CPU. 

Is it a desktop? maybe you can upgrade the CPU to a better one. (tenth generation I think?) 

But if it's a laptop, you should probably just get a new one if it's too slow. 

What do you do on your laptop?

If you don't have enough money for a nice laptop, check this one out: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Vivobook-i3-1215U-Graphics-F1504ZA-AS34/dp/B0BXRMMNH5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=laptop%2Bi3&qid=1700079603&sr=8-4&th=1

It's a VERY nice laptop for the price (only around $300.) 

Edit: And I don't know much about compatibility but maybe you could try a Linux like Ubuntu, which would be lighter on the system. 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

What do you expect from a 6 watt processor? It's designed to sip power, not for performance.

It can very briefly burst up to 3 ghz, but it's designed to spend as much time as possible running at or below its base frequency.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

My thoughts: 

First of all, of course, it's slow, it's a Pentium. That CPU is pretty much the speed of an intel i3 from 2013. It's 2023, not 2013. 

But anyways...

And the clock speed of 1 GHz is normal for that CPU. That's its base frequency. 

So it seems normal to me... that's just a, really, really bad CPU. 

Is it a desktop? maybe you can upgrade the CPU to a better one. (tenth generation I think?) 

But if it's a laptop, you should probably just get a new one if it's too slow. 

What do you do on your laptop?

If you don't have enough money for a nice laptop, check this one out: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Vivobook-i3-1215U-Graphics-F1504ZA-AS34/dp/B0BXRMMNH5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=laptop%2Bi3&qid=1700079603&sr=8-4&th=1

It's a VERY nice laptop for the price (only around $300.) 

Edit: And I don't know much about compatibility but maybe you could try a Linux like Ubuntu, which would be lighter on the system. 

i mean yeah its an old pentium

bought the thing to do light gaming and watch youtube and movies on a 20 hr flight

still the thing can boost up to 3 ghz so idk why its this slow under regular use

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

What do you expect from a 6 watt processor? It's designed to sip power, not for performance.

It can very briefly burst up to 3 ghz, but it's designed to spend as much time as possible running at or below its base frequency.

exactly 🙂

5 minutes ago, xd nqrwayy 9000 said:

i mean yeah its an old pentium

bought the thing to do light gaming and watch youtube and movies on a 20 hr flight

still the thing can boost up to 3 ghz so idk why its this slow under regular use

Just like @Needfuldoer mentioned, it can boost to 3ghz for a VERY short period. 

I can't imagine gaming is great, but have you optimized the system for better performance? (e.g. turn off unnecessary animations?) 

So I would consider a nicer desktop for gaming. 

But this thing should be great for YouTube and movies!

And I wouldn't worry about the clock speeds. It's more about performance, and nowadays, GHz doesn't really matter.

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

1 minute ago, PowerPCFan said:

exactly 🙂

I can't imagine gaming is great, but have you optimized the system for better performance? (e.g. turn off unnecessary animations?) 

And I wouldn't worry about the clock speeds. It's more about performance, and nowadays, GHz doesn't really matter.

i mean youtube lags hard on the low clock speed but its usable on 2ghz which it never reaches

Just now, xd nqrwayy 9000 said:

i mean youtube lags hard on the low clock speed but its usable on 2ghz which it never reaches

Because it is such a slow processor. It cannot do it smoothly

Intel® Core™ i7-7800x | Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 580 Gaming 4GB | 32GB Team T-Force Delta RGB Black CL16 DDR4 | Samsung 950 PRO 256GB | WD Green 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 1TBWindows 10 Pro | Kolink Quantum RGB Tempered Glass | Corsair HX1000 PSU

18 minutes ago, xd nqrwayy 9000 said:

Thats outside of its range for longer than 30 seconds.

Return the devcie and get a used bussiness class device.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

That's outside of its range for longer than 30 seconds.

Return the device and get a used business-class device.

To me it sounds like it's not a new device... unless I'm missing something. 

2 hours ago, PowerPCFan said:

exactly 🙂

ok so for some reason the cpu wont go above or below 1.09ghz now and thats weird

also maximum and minimum processor stats options completely disappeared from power plan

2 minutes ago, xd nqrwayy 9000 said:

ok so for some reason the cpu wont go above or below 1.09ghz now and thats weird

also maximum and minimum processor stats options completely disappeared from power plan

well just like a lot of people have said multiple times, the clock speed of 1GHz is a perfectly normal frequency for that CPU, and the advertised turbo speed of 3 GHz will only last for 30 seconds or so, when doing very intensive tasks. 

The power plan thing is strange but if the options appear again make sure its set to performance. This might shorten battery life. 

4 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

well just like a lot of people have said multiple times, the clock speed of 1GHz is a perfectly normal frequency for that CPU, and the advertised turbo speed of 3 GHz will only last for 30 seconds or so, when doing very intensive tasks. 

The power plan thing is strange but if the options appear again make sure its set to performance. This might shorten battery life. 

but still its like stuck at that speed

2 minutes ago, xd nqrwayy 9000 said:

well, you have to check the usage too. If the usage is maybe 50% or above, then it might run at the highest frequency, at least for a Pentium. 

Also, I find the Windows task manager inaccurate, you should download CPUID HWMonitor. It's far more confusing but way more detailed and accurate. 

But even with low usage, CPUs still sometimes clock at their highest frequency. I have an i5-12600K. It's base frequency is around 3 GHz and its turbo is 4.9 GHz. When I stress-tested it at 100 percent usage, it was at almost its highest clock speed. But when I brought the test down to only around 25% utilization, it was only 200 MHz (0.2 GHz) lower. 

So I wouldn't worry about that either. 

I attached 2 screenshots as proof. 

1. 100%

Screenshot2023-11-15180830.thumb.png.786fe8890df77c1dcbf6060db39b0dfb.png

2. 25%

Screenshot2023-11-15181006.thumb.png.6e4c0b1b94c3e5ee7ec86332f8f3f7da.png

@xd nqrwayy 9000

Open the Task Manager Details tab and have a look at what is running in the background on your computer. When you have a weak CPU, kill as many useless background tasks as possible. CPU usage should be under 5% when a computer is idle. Your first screenshot is bad and the second screenshot you posted is worse.  

Post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop TPL window. If the turbo power limits are not locked you can increase them to reduce the amount of power limit throttling. Check the MMIO Lock box which is near the top right of the TPL window. 

On the main screen of ThrottleStop check the Set Multiplier box and press the Turn On button. You should not see the word Monitoring... in the ThrottleStop title bar. Clear the BD PROCHOT box. 

13 hours ago, xd nqrwayy 9000 said:

Basically if the load is constant and high enough it will never reset the boost timer. Displaying stuck behaviot.

Since a n5030 can barely run windows its most likely just top high usage at idle for it to ever be able to boost thus being at the normal 1.1ghz it is SUPPOSED TO run at when cpu usage is over 30% ish on average.

Basically yout laptop is so weak it cant run windows. Return and get something else

@jaslion @xd nqrwayy 9000

Or maybe ChromeOS Flex would be nice, it should run incredibly

Just now, PowerPCFan said:

@jaslion @xd nqrwayy 9000

Or maybe ChromeOS Flex would be nice, it should run incredibly

Ehh no not really. These are also quite slow in chromebooks. Better yes but still very slow

On 11/16/2023 at 4:43 PM, jaslion said:

Ehh no not really. These are also quite slow in chromebooks. Better yes but still very slow

well yes, it would still be slow (of course), but if the Intel Celeron N4020 and Mediatek MT8183 that are in the school computers at my school can run ChromeOS and somehow handle 50 tabs with 4 GB RAM and not slow down too much, I think OP's computer could too. 

@xd nqrwayy 9000

You should look into this or similar, looks nice for the price... should handle what you do

https://www.microcenter.com/product/663100/lenovo-ideapad-3-14-laptop-computer-platinum-grey?sku=540187&utm_source=20231016_DesktopNotebook_R7772

Of course what I do requires a beefy i5 or i7 with higher-than-4GHz clocks, but for light gaming and youtube an 11th gen i3 can handle that.