Why wont my sound system connect my xbox audio and output it?

T3mpest

IMG_8459.mov Ive done all the hdmi cables into the same place as the xbox site shows to do it but on the tv it shows the volume of my sound system going up when i increase the sound but nothing is coming out (all the speakers are connected ive tested with aux) but the second i turn off the sound system the audio from the xbox starts playing again

image.png.f42fc3f833c0ff5cb68b24297d2fdb4a.pngthats what it displays on the tv when turing up the audio on the sound system (no audio is coming out though)

Not enough information.

Is your Xbox connected to your TV via HDMI or connected to your sound system via HDMI?

How is the TV sending audio to your sound system? Does your TV have HDMI In with ARC?

Does your sound system have an HDMI Out with ARC?

If BOTH devices do not have ARC, then alternatively you can use a TOSLINK cable to connect your TV optical output to the sound system optical input. Last resort would be using Red/White RCA cables to connect from TV to sound system, but that probably won't sound good.

Is there a TV setting that you can change to output audio on something else other than the TV speakers?

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

12 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Not enough information.

Is your Xbox connected to your TV via HDMI or connected to your sound system via HDMI?

How is the TV sending audio to your sound system? Does your TV have HDMI In with ARC?

Does your sound system have an HDMI Out with ARC?

If BOTH devices do not have ARC, then alternatively you can use a TOSLINK cable to connect your TV optical output to the sound system optical input. Last resort would be using Red/White RCA cables to connect from TV to sound system, but that probably won't sound good.

Is there a TV setting that you can change to output audio on something else other than the TV speakers?

ive connected the xbox with tv in into the tv and tv out into a in port onto the sound system, from the tv its connected to the out hdmi port, my tv automatically changes to external and internal speakers if it sees a audio device to output from is connected or disconnected, on the sound system i set it to game/tv ( corrosponding to what i plugged the xbox into at the back of it) the speakers work as the fm radio works and both speakers are fully functional

22 hours ago, T3mpest said:

ive connected the xbox with tv in into the tv and tv out into a in port onto the sound system, from the tv its connected to the out hdmi port, my tv automatically changes to external and internal speakers if it sees a audio device to output from is connected or disconnected, on the sound system i set it to game/tv ( corrosponding to what i plugged the xbox into at the back of it) the speakers work as the fm radio works and both speakers are fully functional

What is the connector/wire of the 'tv out' going into the sound system? CEC is working between the sound system and the TV, as that is how you see the sound system model and volume; but the audio pathing isn't correct. Options for hooking everything up:

TV AND sound system have HDMI-ARC:

1) HDMI from Xbox to TV HDMI input

2) HDMI from TV HDMI-ARC 'input' to sound system 'HDMI out/ARC'

3) Set sound system input to 'TV' or 'ARC' (varies by brand as to what that input is called)

4) Make sure ARC is enabled on sound system (Yamaha for a while was shipping receivers with ARC off by default)

5) Make sure ARC is enabled on TV

6) Set TV to Xbox HDMI input

6a) You might need to set the TV to the 'HDMI-ARC' input to be able to see the settings for the sound system, make changes as needed, then go back to Xbox HDMI input on TV

7) TV remote will power on/off sound system when TV is powered on/off, and TV remote will control volume of sound system

** If this is how you have it connected, and sound still isn't working, you may need to go to the sound settings in your TV and change the sound settings from 'Auto' to PCM or one of the other options, it depends on your TV and sound system as to what is compatible. **

EDIT: Looked up your receiver. Does not appear to have HDMI-ARC, so you will want to set it up this way:

TV OR sound system DOES NOT have HDMI-ARC (both devices MUST HAVE ARC to make previous setup work):

1) HDMI from Xbox 'TV out' to sound system HDMI input (HDMI 4 is labeled 'Game' on that receiver, so that one would make sense, but you could use any of them, 1 through 4)

2) HDMI sound system 'HDMI out' to TV HDMI input (ie: HDMI 1)

3) Turn sound system to Xbox input (ie: HDMI 4/Game)

4) Turn TV to whatever input you put the HDMI from the sound system into (ie: HDMI 1)

5) Sound system or TV remote will control volume (via HDMI-CEC)

Also, you will only get 1080p from this receiver. From what I can tell of that Samsung bezel, your TV is likely only 1080p..though it could be an early 4K TV. If you want 4K from the Xbox, you'll want to hook it up like below:

Sound system does not have an HDMI out at all, only inputs:

2) Toslink/optical cable from TV to sound system optical input

3) Turn TV to whatever input the Xbox is connected to

4) Select optical input on sound system

5) Sound system remote controls volume

Can you take pics of the input panels of the TV and the sound system? Or at least provide make/model of your TV/sound system? That will help guide the best/correct hook up.

15 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

What is the connector/wire of the 'tv out' going into the sound system? CEC is working between the sound system and the TV, as that is how you see the sound system model and volume; but the audio pathing isn't correct. Options for hooking everything up:

TV AND sound system have HDMI-ARC:

2) HDMI from TV HDMI-ARC 'input' to sound system 'HDMI out/ARC'

3) Set sound system input to 'TV' or 'ARC' (varies by brand as to what that input is called)

4) Make sure ARC is enabled on sound system (Yamaha for a while was shipping receivers with ARC off by default)

5) Make sure ARC is enabled on TV

6) Set TV to Xbox HDMI input

6a) You might need to set the TV to the 'HDMI-ARC' input to be able to see the settings for the sound system, make changes as needed, then go back to Xbox HDMI input on TV

7) TV remote will power on/off sound system when TV is powered on/off, and TV remote will control volume of sound system

** If this is how you have it connected, and sound still isn't working, you may need to go to the sound settings in your TV and change the sound settings from 'Auto' to PCM or one of the other options, it depends on your TV and sound system as to what is compatible. **

EDIT: Looked up your receiver. Does not appear to have HDMI-ARC, so you will want to set it up this way:

TV OR sound system DOES NOT have HDMI-ARC (both devices MUST HAVE ARC to make previous setup work):

1) HDMI from Xbox 'TV out' to sound system HDMI input (HDMI 4 is labeled 'Game' on that receiver, so that one would make sense, but you could use any of them, 1 through 4)

2) HDMI sound system 'HDMI out' to TV HDMI input (ie: HDMI 1)

3) Turn sound system to Xbox input (ie: HDMI 4/Game)

4) Turn TV to whatever input you put the HDMI from the sound system into (ie: HDMI 1)

5) Sound system or TV remote will control volume (via HDMI-CEC)

Also, you will only get 1080p from this receiver. From what I can tell of that Samsung bezel, your TV is likely only 1080p..though it could be an early 4K TV. If you want 4K from the Xbox, you'll want to hook it up like below:

Sound system does not have an HDMI out at all, only inputs:

2) Toslink/optical cable from TV to sound system optical input

3) Turn TV to whatever input the Xbox is connected to

4) Select optical input on sound system

5) Sound system remote controls volume

Can you take pics of the input panels of the TV and the sound system? Or at least provide make/model of your TV/sound system? That will help guide the best/correct hook up.

the tv i have is a samsung UE32B6000VW (had to sell my newer tv so the tv is quite old) my sound system is a ONKYO TX-SR606, ive tried using the second solution you gave me as my tv does not have ARC on it but now it seems like the hdmi out port on it has something wrong with it so i may have to link them up with optical cableIMG_8468.jpg?ex=6561ec64&is=654f7764&hm=0743d2e65207cfff97774656ba265447b186502530e204377c92c9fcfe7a9cc8& IMG_8457.jpg?ex=6561ec64&is=654f7764&hm=b935e5835d188176efcb32e117b6428ecc620770b28b62028a72b3ba997908b3&

21 hours ago, T3mpest said:

the tv i have is a samsung UE32B6000VW (had to sell my newer tv so the tv is quite old) my sound system is a ONKYO TX-SR606, ive tried using the second solution you gave me as my tv does not have ARC on it but now it seems like the hdmi out port on it has something wrong with it so i may have to link them up with optical cable 

Did you like... not read my post?

I had already suggested you to use the Optical output on the TV and Receiver if your TV does not have HDMI ARC.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 11/11/2023 at 7:49 AM, T3mpest said:

the tv i have is a samsung UE32B6000VW (had to sell my newer tv so the tv is quite old) my sound system is a ONKYO TX-SR606, ive tried using the second solution you gave me as my tv does not have ARC on it but now it seems like the hdmi out port on it has something wrong with it so i may have to link them up with optical cableIMG_8457.jpg?ex=6561ec64&is=654f7764&hm=b935e5835d188176efcb32e117b6428ecc620770b28b62028a72b3ba997908b3&

Judging by the scratches on the back of the receiver, I'm willing to guess the HDMI out is borked. Too much of the ol' reach around HDMI fumbling over the years. So yeah, you'll need to do as @saintlouisbagels had originally said, go with optical to the receiver from the TV. Which with gaming systems I generally prefer to do anyways. A lot of older receivers (even newer ones though) can add latency. I prefer to have as few pieces of equipment between a gaming device and the display as possible. Also turn off as much of the image processing as you can on the TV; and if it has a game mode, turn that on...though sometimes I feel like the 'game mode' makes latency worse for whatever reason.