Google Pixel bug causes reboot loop and loss of storage access

Flatware1273

The Google Pixel 6 and later models are currently affected of a pretty serious bug which leads to either loosing access to the internal storage or the phone being stuck in a boot loop.

We are aware of an issue occurring on some Pixel devices (Pixel 6 and later models) that have both received the Android 14 update and have multiple users (other than the primary user) set up.

I use my Pixel with two users to separate private and work stuff. A few days ago my Pixel 7 decided to auto-install a google play services update over night (Google Play Services) and in the morning, I woke up with a bricked phone in my hand (got the boot loop variant). Pretty bad, as I require to use my phone for work to use 2-factor authentication.

So, a few google searches later I found this issue: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/305766503

Looks like this was already known since October 17. Since then, there was little to none communication from google about this issue.

In the meantime, they posted a short statement: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/241474288?sjid=6151427869880731832-EU

It is currently unclear whether there is even a way to recover the data if you are affected by the boot loop. Maybe they are able to recover some data.

I also contacted the Pixel support. They immediately wanted me to do a factory reset (by going into the android settings which I can't reach because of the boot loop.. wow), not even warning me of loosing my data without a backup..

Are any of you guys affected too?

What do you think about the actions and communication from google's side?

I think this has to draw more attention than it currently has..