Solution for adding Molex powered RGB to old case, old board

chtorogu

Hi, everybody.

Like I wrote in an earlier thread I'm putting together a gaming PC with old parts to give my nephews for Christmas. I've got basically everything together. I would like to jazz it up a bit visually though. The case has an acrylic window and I'd like to put some RGB around it. The problem is that the board pre-dates RGB headers and I don't want to spend to add in a "proper" solution for it. I'm thinking it should be possible to just power a led RGB strip with a Molex connector and set it to color shift in some pattern. Are there any good options for this? Preferably an all in one solution. I did do a search and found some stuff but I thought someone may have a recommendation for something specific.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, chtorogu said:

Hi, everybody.

Like I wrote in an earlier thread I'm putting together a gaming PC with old parts to give my nephews for Christmas. I've got basically everything together. I would like to jazz it up a bit visually though. The case has an acrylic window and I'd like to put some RGB around it. The problem is that the board pre-dates RGB headers and I don't want to spend to add in a "proper" solution for it. I'm thinking it should be possible to just power a led RGB strip with a Molex connector and set it to color shift in some pattern. Are there any good options for this? Preferably an all in one solution. I did do a search and found some stuff but I thought someone may have a recommendation for something specific.

Thanks.

1. You will need a controller to switch color.

2. 12v RGB strip is cheaper than 5v ARGB strip, but less fancy with the colorization. Both can be powered by molex/SATA, since molex & SATA has a 12v and 5v pins & wire.

3. Unless you can find an RGB to Molex/SATA adapter, you will need to DIY solder an adapter of sort.

4. DIY-ing a molex adapter is somewhat easier & simpler than SATA

Here's an example of a controller with remote for 5v (ARGB) strip, powered using SATA

https://www.amazon.com/LEDdess-Rainbow-Controller-Strip-Remote/dp/B07JZCNPNV/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3E56PA7X5Y179&keywords=RGB+controller&sprefix=rgb+control%2Caps%2C480&sr=8-6

This one is for 12v strip powered using SATA

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Support-Computer-Connect-Remote/dp/B07D2XZVV3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=39WEU8PFPHROU&keywords=12v+RGB+controller+SATA&sprefix=12v+rgb+controller+s%2Caps%2C377&sr=8-2

This one for 12v strip powered using molex

https://www.amazon.com/Besvalo-Controller-Equipment-Brightness-Adjustment/dp/B09T5YCZHD/ref=sr_1_12?crid=3KBBYPCVC3SH5&keywords=12v+RGB+controller+molex&qid=1698959859&sprefix=12v+rgb+controller+m%2Caps%2C378&sr=8-12

A mini controller for 12v strip without remote capability

https://www.amazon.com/MEIRIYFA-Amplifier-Controller-Brightness-Lighting/dp/B0BVVCK54T/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1EG8KKWSCK8ZQ&keywords=12v+RGB+controller&sprefix=12v+rgb+controller+%2Caps%2C354&sr=8-13

There is fancier controller that lets you change color using software by connecting to USB2 header on the motherboard.

But it will cost ya more, at the very least when compared to just using a mini controller, and IIRC most if not all of them only works with ARGB strip

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

29 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

1. You will need a controller to switch color.

2. 12v RGB strip is cheaper than 5v ARGB strip, but less fancy with the colorization. Both can be powered by molex/SATA, since molex & SATA has a 12v and 5v pins & wire.

3. Unless you can find an RGB to Molex/SATA adapter, you will need to DIY solder an adapter of sort.

4. DIY-ing a molex adapter is somewhat easier & simpler than SATA

Here's an example of a controller with remote for 5v (ARGB) strip, powered using SATA

https://www.amazon.com/LEDdess-Rainbow-Controller-Strip-Remote/dp/B07JZCNPNV/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3E56PA7X5Y179&keywords=RGB+controller&sprefix=rgb+control%2Caps%2C480&sr=8-6

This one is for 12v strip powered using SATA

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Support-Computer-Connect-Remote/dp/B07D2XZVV3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=39WEU8PFPHROU&keywords=12v+RGB+controller+SATA&sprefix=12v+rgb+controller+s%2Caps%2C377&sr=8-2

This one for 12v strip powered using molex

https://www.amazon.com/Besvalo-Controller-Equipment-Brightness-Adjustment/dp/B09T5YCZHD/ref=sr_1_12?crid=3KBBYPCVC3SH5&keywords=12v+RGB+controller+molex&qid=1698959859&sprefix=12v+rgb+controller+m%2Caps%2C378&sr=8-12

A mini controller for 12v strip without remote capability

https://www.amazon.com/MEIRIYFA-Amplifier-Controller-Brightness-Lighting/dp/B0BVVCK54T/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1EG8KKWSCK8ZQ&keywords=12v+RGB+controller&sprefix=12v+rgb+controller+%2Caps%2C354&sr=8-13

There is fancier controller that lets you change color using software by connecting to USB2 header on the motherboard.

But it will cost ya more, at the very least when compared to just using a mini controller, and IIRC most if not all of them only works with ARGB strip

Those are great suggestions, thank you. I think I'll go with the 5V SATA one, if I can find it or equivalent here in Sweden or that can be shipped here affordably. Nice to have a few backup solutions as well there. Thanks a lot.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

You can also opt for some aigo rgb fans or something. Because they also use a remote for rgb loose from needing the pins on a board.

Basically anything that has a remote will work.

Didn't consider RGB fans, that may be better and easier. It does have two front fans and a rear and I think the front ones would shine through pretty well. I'll look around for that.

Does the remote work through the case? Does the RGB get powered from the fan header? In that case, is there risk of overloading them?

@Poinkachu With the solutions you link to, there's no soldering needed? You just connect the controller to the strip and SATA/Molex?

2 minutes ago, chtorogu said:

Didn't consider RGB fans, that may be better and easier. It does have two front fans and a rear and I think the front ones would shine through pretty well. I'll look around for that.

Does the remote work through the case? Does the RGB get powered from the fan header? In that case, is there risk of overloading them?

@Poinkachu With the solutions you link to, there's no soldering needed? You just connect the controller to the strip and SATA/Molex?

The hubs get sata or molex power. Then the fan speed is with a header for the board like a normal fan.

The remote goes through the case normally.

26 minutes ago, chtorogu said:

The remote will work as long the signal it sends can reach the controller/receiver, so in essence if it really doesn't reach the receiver you can extend the cable and put the receiver either close to an opening on the case where the signal can reach it better, or put it outside the case for a more direct line.

If we're talking about only the controllers I linked ;

Only the mini controller requires some soldering, since usually those mini controllers are sold with just stripped wire on it's cable'd end.

You can try attaching a connector or splicing the wire without solder, like doing the old spin both of the stranded wires together then use an electrical tape, but yea, soldering them together is more secure.

Edit : But yea, that's based on my own experience that the strips I bought usually have one end already with RGB wires and RGB connector soldered on it.

A whole different case if the one you bought doesn't come with any.

And also it depends on how you want to apply the led strips, if they're all uncut , then yes. You can do it solderless.

If you want to separate them into some sections, then you will have to connect each sections using wires. Most often this means there will be some soldering needed.

Unless you can get your hand on some good quick-snap connector (No idea what it's actually named, it's just how I call it. I don't think there's an official name) & doesn't mind the risk of non-soldered splicing.

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-5-Pack-Solderless-Connectors-Conductor/dp/B07R4MNS66/ref=sr_1_56?crid=224E0BRELF75A&keywords=led+3pin+quick+connector&sprefix=led+3pinquick+connector%2Caps%2C353&sr=8-56

Edited by Poinkachu

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Thanks for all the advice and information. I may use some of it for one of my own systems. For this one, it's a bit too pricey, especially for the fan solution which is the one I prefer.

However, I found a set of Molex powered "dumb" RGB fans. 6 of them for like 20 bucks. I think that will suffice to make the system more colorful and fun looking. Hopefully they're fairly silent as they will of course go at full blast all the time.

https://www.amazon.se/färgade-LED-fläktar-chassifläkt-luftflöde-datorkylning/dp/B0BDS8F83L/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?crid=1WJ91GIVGEFXS&keywords=chassifläkt+120mm+rgb&qid=1699173348&sprefix=chassif%2Caps%2C350&sr=8-7

A better solution would be the same thing but with the fans powered by 4 pin fan headers and the LEDs by molex or SATA.

There are many cheap options for uncontrollable LEDs, RGB and even ARGB that come with hubs and RCs. I can't say about availability in your country, though. 

One example that may or may not be too costly is Asiahorse Magic-C ARGB fans. They're more for looks than anything, though, as they don't provide a lot of power. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂