Custom rom on a junk tablet?

Hasan123

Hi. I have a lenovo tab m8(hd). this thing is comically slow. it has 2 GBs of ram and 16 (yes,16!!!) GBs of internal storage. it cant handle even android 10 properly. youtube lags on 720p60 videos. I kind of have to use it for now. I just want it to be a bit smoother. Should I try with custom roms? I dont want any fancy features. I just want maybe a cut down android (go maybe)

so that it can handle 720p videos. i have read the custom rom post. What rom should I go for? I would appreciate an xda thread if someone has done it before.

the tablet page: <LINK REMOVED BY STAFF>

thanks for reading.

1 minute ago, Hasan123 said:

Should I try with custom roms?

A custom ROM is not going to magically make crap hardware any better. You'll also need to find one that supports this particular hardware, i.e. contains the drivers for it. You can certainly try, but don't expect miracles.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

xda-developers is the only place I know to look for stuff like this. The problem though isn't the videos, it's the apps (720p video locally stored in a pure video player should run just fine). And changing your OS won't change the app you need to run.

You could try looking for alternative apps like Newpipe or Grayjay to see if they perform any better.

6 hours ago, Fennick_Fox said:

Definitely be careful using custom ROMs. Projects like Lineage can actually make your device less secure, and your device is probably not receiving current security updates as it is. I'd honestly bite the bullet and pick up a new tablet within your budget if possible; preferably one that has a decent length of support.

Key word, "can".  If it's a device that isn't receiving updates anymore, you're likely more secure with Lineage. I'll argue even on a device receiving updates, you're likely more secure if you know what you're doing.  Especially as with many devices, again if you know what you are doing, you can even re-lock the bootloader with Lineage (well this would be true of other ROMs too). At least with a custom ROM you are getting updates, generally on a weekly basis, and not whenever the OEM feels like updating something.

A quick search for this device on XDA, and it looks like some people got a version of this device working with GSI ROMs, but I really wouldn't mess with that. Generally GSI stuff is buggy at best. Not to mention, unless you're willing to risk the tablet, again not a good idea. In this case, likely searching for a different tablet that is better supported is likely a better idea. Unless your search uncovers something more.

I know before I buy a device, I search on XDA first, and figure out what has good custom ROM support before hand.