CPU temps while gaming too high ?

Yorgo
Go to solution Solved by Grantm56,

Depends on what you mean by worry. I would argue that you shouldn't need to baby your processor with that caliber of a cooler unless you're having issues.

Your CPU won't lose any performance until it hit 90C. It will run to its highest ability up until it hits that temperature. It will boost to higher clockspeed when it has thermal headroom as well.

AMD calls their boost tech "Precision Boost 2" - more info here. There are other limits (amperage, wattage) and the nature of the workload - higher boosting is typical on shorter tasks.

For persistent multi-threaded tasks like gaming, your clock speed is typically more level and less "boosty", not jumping up and done as much. Your temps should be stable. 

I wouldn't worry at all unless you get persistent temperatures in the high 80s. And with the data provided, it looks like your CPU is adequately cooled. 

Hi,

Latetly I've been a bit paranoid with my temps and I'd like to get to the bottom of it once and for all. So while I was gaming my CPU CCD1 (Tdie) hit 79C. CPU Die average went at 74,50 C max and CPU (Tctl/Tdie) went up to 76,63. My averages temps (while in my gaming session) was as follows: CPU CCD1 (Tdie) 60,70C, CPU Die average 58C, CPU (Tctl/Tdie) 64C. Is this too high ? And which one of these temps should I look ? Note that room temp is a 22C I was running Return to Moria, couples tabs of firefox (including music clip), discord, OCCT (to monitor my temps), and other background app such as ICUE. Plz help me stop this madness... its to the point where I'm nervous to game... 😞 Also, I'm not familiar with overclocks and stuff so I'm not too confidente about undervolting.

As for my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x (stock settings)

GPU: Asus gaming tuf 3080ti oc edition

CPU cooler: Deepcool ak620 digital

RAM: Corsair lpx vengeance ddr4 32g (4x8go) running with DOCP at 3200mhz

MOBO: Asus tuf x570 plus wifi (Last version of BIOS)

CASE: Corsair airflow 4000D

CPU fans: I have 3 120mm intake and 3 120 mm exhaust (so good airflow)

I've aslo reapplied thermal paste.

4 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

No need to undervolt nor to panic. The temperatures you mentioned are well within specs for your hardware.

Have a nice day 🙂

Thanks a lot ! So when should I start to worry ? When I hit 85C ?

Thanks a lot 🙂

3 minutes ago, Yorgo said:

Thanks a lot ! So when should I start to worry ? When I hit 85C ?

Your CPU is rated for a max temp of 95C. And unless someone messed with the overclock settings, the CPU once it reaches 95C will throttle to prevent damage. You really don't need to be paranoid.

The 5900x will thermal throttle at 90C. You're not anywhere near there, with max temps of 79. That's great!

The 5900x is a chip that runs hot, but it's also being cooled very well with a beefy cooler like the AK620. You shouldn't need to worry at all. 

18 minutes ago, Grantm56 said:

mxhHUC7G57c7vpejwKZyXf.jpg

source - this article

Right so when do I worry about my temps ? Around 85 C ?

Thank you all for your answer ! Very appreciated

Depends on what you mean by worry. I would argue that you shouldn't need to baby your processor with that caliber of a cooler unless you're having issues.

Your CPU won't lose any performance until it hit 90C. It will run to its highest ability up until it hits that temperature. It will boost to higher clockspeed when it has thermal headroom as well.

AMD calls their boost tech "Precision Boost 2" - more info here. There are other limits (amperage, wattage) and the nature of the workload - higher boosting is typical on shorter tasks.

For persistent multi-threaded tasks like gaming, your clock speed is typically more level and less "boosty", not jumping up and done as much. Your temps should be stable. 

I wouldn't worry at all unless you get persistent temperatures in the high 80s. And with the data provided, it looks like your CPU is adequately cooled. 

if you even worried, you could limit the max speed/frequency the CPU uses for even less temps w/o much loss in performance. Even limiting the frequency to 4.5GHZ or 4.2GHZ wouldn't net much loss in performance while still lowering temperatures substantially.

I've done that with my I7 11700F with a 3rd party aftermarket cooler for big drops in temps by 10 degrees C

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

28 minutes ago, Grantm56 said:

Oh ok I see ! And I've got to say that the highest I've seen tonight was 79C but Lord of the ring return to Moria is (I suppose) a cpu intensive game because it generates a lot of "biome" (a bit like in minecraft) cause in Baldur's gate I have around 67 max 78 C ! And is it concerning if its a sustain 80C or is it normal for the cpu to boost up to 80C and the go back to "normal" temps ?

As for the "worrying" I meanted always watch temps and stop playing if temps are toward the 85/90C

But if yall are telling me not to worry until I hit sustained 85C/90C then I'll relax a bit... 🙂

6 hours ago, Yorgo said:

Oh ok I see ! And I've got to say that the highest I've seen tonight was 79C but Lord of the ring return to Moria is (I suppose) a cpu intensive game because it generates a lot of "biome" (a bit like in minecraft) cause in Baldur's gate I have around 67 max 78 C ! And is it concerning if its a sustain 80C or is it normal for the cpu to boost up to 80C and the go back to "normal" temps ?

As for the "worrying" I meanted always watch temps and stop playing if temps are toward the 85/90C

But if yall are telling me not to worry until I hit sustained 85C/90C then I'll relax a bit... 🙂

I want your indicators 🙂 You may worried when the temps begin to exceed the permissible values regularly. Until then, enjoy the games.

Specifically something weird happens with this game, I have 7800x3d and keeping it cool with an (Liquid Freezer II 280) AIO 280 and I have seen even a peak 91 degrees! seriously , with average 82-85. I have tested and played several games for hours and not even once I exceeded 72 degrees but with this one its something else. If someone has the chance to try out with the x3d latest Ryzen CPUS would be awesome.

Bear in mind you wont observe high temps with the tutorial, you need to move little forward exploring the mines and opening the map, then you will release the saddest truth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I noticed too ! In other games temps stays between 60 and 75C but in Return to Moria they are going nuts its weird