Poco F5

paddy-stone

Hey peeps, just got a new phone, the Poco F5 5G. I can't believe how this thing flies. It automatically added 3GB virtual RAM, but set it to 5GB instead so now is 8+5GB. Did an Antutu run, and it scored 1.23 million, my previous poco x3 scored approx 420K. Has Android 13 (MIUI 14) already. I copied my data from my x3 pro, and other than having to sign into and verify some security apps, like banking, Authy etc was a very smooth process and took approx 30 mins. Charged up from 58% to 100% in around 30 mins too, but that was because I forgot I was bench-marking at the same time, so took a little longer than it should. I paid around 拢230 from Aliexpress from poco official store, and took around 3.5 weeks, 2 weeks of which it was just sitting in a warehouse. Anyway, still worth it IMO, to save from the official UK store price of 拢399 and wait a few weeks. Came with a Euro plug, and adaptor, and still hit the 67W charging fine... so I don't care about non UK plug. Dolby Atmos speakers etc too, very nice playback of movies that are atmos capable, had to try them out of course 馃檪

https://www.mi.com/uk/product/poco-f5/

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-聽
  • Main PC build聽聽https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e聽 - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build聽 https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K聽 b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 10/19/2023 at 10:12 AM, paddy-stone said:

67W charging

Guarenteed to HALVE battery capacity in about two or three years, so please use this ONLY when it is absolute emergency, and do not go above about 75% charge when using this.聽 It will quickly heat the battery (useful in winter actually) and do not use this when the battery is below 15%.

Battery university website has a few chart examples of charging cycles + battery capacity at six different depth-of-discharge levels.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?聽 Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.聽 Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.聽 They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.聽 Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.聽 Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).聽 Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.聽 Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).聽 RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.聽 I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!聽 I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.聽 This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.聽 Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

10 hours ago, E-waste said:

Guarenteed to HALVE battery capacity in about two or three years, so please use this ONLY when it is absolute emergency, and do not go above about 75% charge when using this.聽 It will quickly heat the battery (useful in winter actually) and do not use this when the battery is below 15%.

Battery university website has a few chart examples of charging cycles + battery capacity at six different depth-of-discharge levels.

In my experience it hasn't made any difference, I've had my poco x3 pro for almost exactly 2 years, battery life is still able to support all day usage. In that time it was charged on average once a day with it's 33W charger. I think it''s way more of a problem personally if a person is using it for high CPU use at the same time as charging, or leaving it on charge all night. This is one reason I bought my new phone, as it only needs approx 30 mins to charge from 20-100%, 20% is the lowest I try to get before charging it again. Longevity isn't really a problem for me, as I would normally swap phones every 1-2 years max. I'd much rather enjoy the benefits of high speed charging, in fact I considered getting a worse cpu and getting 120W or higher charging speed.

At the moment, I am still using both phones daily, and because of this I am now only having to charge once every 2 days on each phone. And actually on Android 13, the battery use seems substantially better... eg last night I charged my new phone to 100% before going to bed, took it off the charger and only used it once for a 5 min gaming session, went to sleep with it still being 100%... this morning battery still at 100%. On every phone I had previous to this I lost at least 2-3% overnight, sometimes as high as 8-12% with phone in sleep mode, not off completely.

Anyway, I thank you for your input, I know it was well meant. I just don't think some of those studies are very accurate, at least not in my experience of having a number of smartphones through the years. In fact my brother is still using the pocophone F1 I had since it came out, after I'd had it for around 18 months and daily charging. And he'd been using it a lot whilst charging for at least 2 years and sometimes several charges per day... and it's still working fine even now as his backup phone that he still uses daily. Admittedly the battery longevity went down a bit as he didn't know he shouldn't really use it for gaming etc whilst charging, but since I told him, he was much better at trying to charge when not in use... and since then the battery is holding steady still. If needs be I'll swap the battery out for him, it's like 拢10-15 IIRC. But seeing as he has another phone now as his primary, he'll probably just use it 'til it doesn't work anymore.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-聽
  • Main PC build聽聽https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e聽 - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build聽 https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K聽 b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini