SSD too short for my laptop?

Akaya
Go to solution Solved by Akaya,

Um guys I figured it out. For the rando finding this post a decade later I'll lay it out.

So I opened up the laptop again and took a look at the primary drive with the heat shield. Same length 2280 and the screw fit just right. When I put the primary back I realized I had to lift it a bit for the shield bit to slot in. Then I went and checked the new drive. Turns there was some space right below the actual slot that was high enough for the SSD to slide in and also tight enough to feel like a slot and hold the SSD somewhat in place.

So yes, stranger years from now, we essentially:https://youtu.be/-zHVW7Zy_vg?si=IgvG8HPxE4cqW2wO

Thanks guys for the help.

Hi guys, my Alienware m15 R4 laptop was running out of disk space so I decided to pop in another SSD. I read up the specs and bought a gen3 2280 drive according to the supported specs. I opened the bottom plate, popped the drive in the empty 2280 slot aaaaand this happened. I thought I need some extra proprietary heat shield but the primary drive seemed to fit with or without the original shield. Booting up the system with the drive attached like this and the drive is not recognized by both the OS and the BIOS. Now I have some electrical tape lying around but would really appreciate any help so I don't end up like this the next time around. Thanks in advance!

20231010_200059.jpg

Try reinstalling it again and put some electrical tape down to hold it into place. Checking w google says it's the same size as what your laptop has which is size 2280

perhaps there is a BIOS option to turn on that specific slot perhaps? Also did you try disk management and seeing if the drive was assigned a letter?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Found an image elsewhere which shows what looks like a heat shield used over both M.2 slots to hold the SSD in place. Did you get 2 heat shields, one for each? If the 2nd is missing, I'd guess it may need some additional pressure to get the right contact angle in the slot.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Um guys I figured it out. For the rando finding this post a decade later I'll lay it out.

So I opened up the laptop again and took a look at the primary drive with the heat shield. Same length 2280 and the screw fit just right. When I put the primary back I realized I had to lift it a bit for the shield bit to slot in. Then I went and checked the new drive. Turns there was some space right below the actual slot that was high enough for the SSD to slide in and also tight enough to feel like a slot and hold the SSD somewhat in place.

So yes, stranger years from now, we essentially:https://youtu.be/-zHVW7Zy_vg?si=IgvG8HPxE4cqW2wO

Thanks guys for the help.