*HELP* PSU or MTHRBRD issue?

VexingLeon

Hello all, 

My desktop will not turn on when I press the power button. It was working great the night before and never had any thermal issues. It has been running with no problems since July of 23. I have tried unplugging and replugging the power cables, the front panel cable, but I still get the same result. 
I’ve re-seated the RAM and the GPU. And even tried to jump my pc with the screwdriver on the power switch, but the pc will never turn on. 
I took it a step further and tested the PSU and made sure that it ran in another system and it does. 
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO! 
Is it the PSU, Motherboard, or is it something different.

Please Assist!

Thank you, 

VexingLeon

Hardware:

CPU: i5-12400

GPU: 6700 XT

MTHRBRD: Asus Tuf D5 z790

PSU: Asus Tuf 850w

SSD: Samsung 980&970 

When you say "does not turn on", do you mean: there's no reaction whatsoever, no fans, no nothing? OR, does it just boot, everything runs, but a black screen?

22 minutes ago, Tetras said:

When you say "does not turn on", do you mean: there's no reaction whatsoever, no fans, no nothing? OR, does it just boot, everything runs, but a black screen?

Yes, no reaction. No fans spin and no fan lights, nothing on my display 
the motherboard has its own lights that do turn on, but nothing happens when I press the power button 

1 hour ago, VexingLeon said:

Yes, no reaction. No fans spin and no fan lights, nothing on my display 
the motherboard has its own lights that do turn on, but nothing happens when I press the power button 

Are they diagnosis LEDs or just aesthetic RGB lighting?

Do the fans spin at all, or is the system just totally dead?

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Are they diagnosis LEDs or just aesthetic RGB lighting?

Do the fans spin at all, or is the system just totally dead?

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

Just aesthetic LEDs, the fans don’t spin at all. I looked on YouTube and tried a paper clip to the motherboard connector from the PSU and the PSU runs when the paper clip is inserted to the correct sockets. So i think maybe it’s my motherboard?

If you tested the PSU in another PC and it worked, then chances are its not the PSU. Do you have another board you can try with your rig? Its a far stretch but sometimes we enthusiasts do have extra parts lying around to try.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

43 minutes ago, VexingLeon said:

Just aesthetic LEDs, the fans don’t spin at all. I looked on YouTube and tried a paper clip to the motherboard connector from the PSU and the PSU runs when the paper clip is inserted to the correct sockets. So i think maybe it’s my motherboard?

@Crunchy Dragon

18 hours ago, VexingLeon said:

Motherboard sounds more likely for sure.

PSU is ruled out because it worked in another system.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

have you actually ruled out the switch (power switch on case?)??

If not unplug pwr swtich header on front panel connector  (power off / unplug) then plug in turn on power supply and then with a flat screw driver tap the power switch header pin to make contact... see if system powers on.